CHAPTER 10: Happiness

Chapter 10: HAPPINESS

Dear Diary,
What am I supposed to do now?
Is this even real? The guy that I've been crushing on since I was a kid suddenly had interest in me.

We're still here in the living room. Just like the old times, we just joked around and talked for hours...
"Do you remember the time when you were angry about that research draft? I was actually trying to ask you about the Anniversary ball, but you've been in a bad mood. I didn't intend to make you feel like some kind of a nerdy person who does nothing but make other people's homework...I was actually trying to be close to you again.. it was just an excuse so that i could talk to you." He said, while looking a bit embarrassed.

"Really? At that time, I was really having a bad morning."

"Carlo and Elly, it's dinner time already. Lets eat." Mom called out. She's smiling at us and as usual, the foods on the table are looking quite delicious.

We were so preoccupied catching up, we didn't even realize that Mom already went downstairs and Janina's with her in the kitchen.

***

Janina just stared at Carlo across the dining table. I was sitting beside him and I felt that he was getting a little bit uncomfortable because of my weird sister. We're already eating and enjoying the beef steak and it tastes so delicious with its special sauce. The soft texture of the meat tickled my senses with its strong flavor. I reached for my glass to drink my juice. That's when I realized that Janina was still staring at Carlo with her big saucer-like eyes, it feels like it could go on forever but then she finally broke her silence when she felt that I was already giving her a sharp look while I was still sipping my drink.

"Elly? Is he your boyfriend?"

I might have choked to death with water if her timing wasn't right, good thing the water already went down.

I cleared my throat

"No, Ja--"

"Yes... uhh well not yet, Janina..."

I can't believe what I've just heard...

This guy never fail to surprise me

"I was right, Elly has a boyfriend." She beamed with pleasure, as if she was right all along.

Mom was quiet but she immediately recovered when she cleared her throat
"Carlo, what do you mean by that?"

"Oh, well Mrs. Smith..."

Mom looked at him intently and he smiled, a little too brightly if I do say so myself

He cleared his throat trying to regain his composure after getting a little bit conscious with Mom's scrutinizing look

"I want to be her partner at the Anniversary ball, just this coming week and I hope that you don't mind. "

"It's perfectly fine for me Carlo, but have you told Elly about this?" Mom said with a smile on her face or did I just saw her smirk?

I realized that my mouth was still slightly open, still shocked by the turn of events.

"Elly?" Mom said, as she tried to catch my attention.

"Oh, he already asked me a while ago, I already said yes." I said, while looking down at my food on my attempt to hide my tomato-colored face with my hair.

Mom nodded.

"That's settled then."

After that bizarre situation, I finally got to enjoy and savor the food.

***

"Thanks, Mrs. Smith. Bye, Janina! Bye, Elly see you at school." Carlo said as he waved goodbye.

"Bye" I said with a shy smile on my face.

"You're welcome, Carlo." Mom said with a smile on her face.

"Bye, Elly's boyfriend!" Janina waved at Carlo as he walked towards the gate. I felt myself blush and saw Carlo blush a little too as he waved back at her.

As soon as Carlo was out of our front yard. Mom looked at me as if she just discovered my secret.

"Would you mind explaining this to me, young lady?" Her face looked stern but there's still that softness in her voice that made me think that she was not angry but she's just totally as confused as I am.

"Like I said before, we're not in that kind of relationship. We're just friends, Mom."

She opened her mouth as if she was about to say something but she just closed it again.

"Okay then, Elly. I trust you with that. Just tell me if there something going on, okay? I'm here for you."

"Me too, Elly. I'm here for you also." Janina butted right in.

I felt the urge to hug them. "Thanks, Mom. Thanks, Janie"

We just stayed there for a group hug.