I wanna use you... And abuse you (6)

Start from the beginning

Without thinking twice, I changed as fast as I could. I passed by Rob, who didn't question neither the subject I wanted to tell him nor why I interrupted our possible "fuck", he just watched my every move with a concerned face, I said goodbye and went to meet my two best officers that were waiting for me in a car. I got into the passenger seat, Dinah was on the back seat and Veronica at the wheel.

-So, where was the body found? Found any slip-up of the killer? Called the expertise team? And...

-Hey, take it easy, breathe. - Dinah interrupted, I did what she said, I took a deep breath and I barely noticed how much I spoke - Ok, now we answer your questions, the body was just found and it's extremely fresh on the usual place. We didn't find any residues or slip-ups of the killer. While we were waiting for you, we called the expertise team and the IML and told them to hurry to the location. - I listened carefully to all information told by Dinah.

-If the body is still fresh, it means that it was killed not too long ago and ...

-Left on the place recently. - Veronica completed - Which means the killer is nearby. - she concluded.

-I don't think he's nearby, he wouldn't be so stupid, but it happens that it's not that early anymore, there are already people on the streets, someone must've seen him, maybe.

In a few minutes we arrived at the location, I got out of the car accompanied by my two officers finding Jacob talking with some other officers.

-Good Morning, Officer Jacob. - just like Jacob, the others greeted me good morning, without further ado I ordered everyone to immediately search the whole area of that neighborhood and so they did, quickly everyone dispersed leaving just me, my two faithful officers and Jacob. I approached the completely mutilated and tortured body, the blood still dripping, I grabbed gloves and put it on my hands, I observed that nothing was stolen. The gold Rolex was still in the dead body's arm, a ring showing he was a married man also remained in place. I observed the victim's destroyed face and something told me he was not a stranger.

-Deputy. - my attention was diverted by Veronica's voice, I looked up at her - We found something. - I stood up and walked in hurried steps to the officer, who kept her eyes fixed on a small plastic, it was a Polaroid picture, this time the killer forced the victim's eyes to stay open with the help of two fingers pulling the eyelids revealing the eye's white globe, I turned the picture and to my surprise there was a message:

""Maniac Polaroid", very creative, I invite you to play detective... Let's see who catches more criminals?!

May the best win ;D"

Anger dominated my body, with trembling hands I held the picture, that sick bastard can only be kidding with my face.

-----

Was that real? Another fucking victim? I was in shock with such brutality and I felt so powerless, so useless, but this time we had something, not that it would solve the whole case, but it was something, if we look behind and see that not even a starting point I had.

Thanks to the second clue that was left here at the precinct's door as before, now we know how the Maniac Polaroid chooses his victims and thanks to Vero's investigations on past cases, well, we still needed one last confirmation, and with my knowledge for having majored in Psychology, I had authorization to interrogate a child, she wasn't exactly a child, but even so the requirements were strong.

I was in the interrogation room waiting for the pre-teen, I had in my hands a pen and a sketching book, not that I was an expert in drawings but anything was valid. I was nervous, I never had interrogated a child, but I felt prepared, I had to be, it would be painful to hear something if she decides to tell me. My thoughts were interrupted when I saw the door open and Dinah enter with the little girl and God, she reminded me so much of Sofi, which made my heart give a jolt.