Andy Comber Herbinko

Going inside, I see a note on the living room coffee table.

"One sec," I say, putting down the box and going over to the note.

Hey Amber! In case you come home while I'm gone,

I've gone to the store, and your mom is asleep upstairs!

Dad

"Mom's asleep, so we have to be quiet." I put down the note and go back to Cody's side. Picking up the box again, we go up the stairs and into my room.

"Where do we put him?" he asks, putting the insects on my desk and holding on to the box with the chameleon.

"Here," I say, pointing to a corner that's miraculously bare. I put down the box and quickly message Arden back saying I'm shocked and disappointed but he's cute and all that shit. When I put my phone down, Cody's already opened up the box and started putting things together. I go to his side and help him. After struggling for about a half-hour, we finally manage to get the terrarium together.

"Where's the pamphlet thing?"

"I think I put it in my bag," I say, going over to where I'd put my bag. I pull out the pamphlet and hand it over to Cody.

"Okay, we should read this cover to cover." Cody looks at the first few pages and nods.

"Yeah, we don't want him to suddenly drop dead because we forgot to do something."

"Is the heat okay?" he asks, and I look at the thermometer we put in.

"Around 87°."

"That's good. The heat lamp is on?"

"Yep."

"Could you spray the leaves and stuff?"

"I don't think I have a spray bottle...but I might have one in the bathroom because Mom is always going crazy with "It's so dry! We're all going to get paper cuts!" and all that," I mimic my mom's voice, making him laugh. I check and sure enough, in a corner, there's a spray bottle. I'm not even sure when my mom put that there, but I choose not to worry about how she does her various strange things.

"Is there one in there?" Cody calls.

"Yeah," I reply, replacing the old water with some fresh water. I walk out of the bathroom and spray the terrarium leaves a few times, checking the humidity inside.

"Are we good?"

"Humidity at 63%." I put the bottle beside the terrarium legs (it's like it's up on little stilts).

"Shall we put him inside?"

"Okay," I say excitedly, watching Cody pick up the box and bring it over.

"I'm nervous," Cody laughs.

"Me, too," I reply as he gently opens the box. I peer inside and see the little chameleon in the back. "How should we get him out?"

"I have no fucking clue," Cody says, but the chameleon starts coming this way. I put out my hand, and he climbs into my palm and up to my forearm.

"Well, that was easy," I comment wryly as Cody throws the box in the trash and looks at the chameleon closely.

"What should we name him?" I wonder, grinning at the cute little creature on my arm.

"Something cute."

"Well, obviously," I say, stretching my arm out to Cody. The chameleon climbs over onto Cody's arm.

"Comb."

"What the fuck?"

"Cody plus Amber is Comb or well, Comber," Cody says nonchalantly.

"Oh god that is so fucking lame," I say, beginning to laugh. "I love it." Cody starts laughing as well. "Wait no—make that his middle name, and make his first name Andy."

"Like Andy Biersack?" I ask.

"And like Amber and Cody combined with the m replaced with an n."

"Confusing but good. So, Andy Comber Herbinko?"

"Yes," Cody laughs even harder.

"Chameleon name goals," I comment, giggling.

"That's true!"

"We are so lame," I say, taking Andy and putting him in his terrarium and carefully closing the top.

"That's what makes us such a good pair," Cody tells me, grabbing the box of insects and putting it beside the spray bottle.

"I'm going to have trouble sleeping with a bunch of insects in the corner of my room," I say, rubbing my arms.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you," Cody smirks, putting his hands on my hips.

"You will, hmm?" I smile and get on my tiptoes so I can touch my nose to his.

"Yes, I will," he whispers, kissing me softly.