Feelings Part 2

Eventually, we pull into the mall parking lot, and Cody parks in an open spot near the entrance.

"Okay, now I'm getting nervous." Cody locks the Jeep and latches on to my arm like a monkey.

"Dude, people are going to think we're dating." I look around, but obviously, nobody is paying attention to us.

"But I'm nervous!!" he whines, looking at me and sticking out his bottom lip.

"Cody, for crying out loud! We're not even inside the mall!" I drag him along, and he makes a noise that sounds like a cross between a groan and a whine.

"You're the person who woke me up and dragged me all this way."

"Amber—"

"I know you're trying to back out, and I won't let you."

"Wait!" I ignore him and keep dragging him along to American Apparel, which is luckily on the first floor, making the dragging easier for me. When we get inside the store, Cody's face changes from reluctant to terrified. I peel his hands off me and leave him half-cowering in a corner while I go over to the girl, who's organizing some shirts.

"Hi!" I put on my friendliest smile and greet her. I look over my shoulder and give Cody a meaningful look to say, "don't look like a moron."

"Hello! What can I do for you?" She grins at me, standing up straight. I can see why Cody likes her. She's very pretty with long blonde hair, sparkling blue eyes, a petite nose, and full lips. I feel a hint of jealousy—I'll never be that pretty with my boring brown hair, plain brown eyes, and unspectacular face. She pushes her hair behind her ear with a blue-nailed hand and tilts her head to the side inquiringly.

"I'm Amber." I extend my hand, which she daintily shakes. "That's my friend over there." I point to Cody, who's pretending to look at some jackets.

"I'm Lindsey," she responds and looks at Cody.

"He wants to get to know you, but he's kind of shy," I tell her, shifting my weight onto my other foot.

"Oh! I see!" She smiles and sashays over to a pink-faced Cody. I follow her and go over to his side.

"Hi," he says, blushing, gripping my arm again.

"Hello! I'm Lindsey," she looks at him, smiling. She eyes his hand on my arm, making me want to disappear.

"I'm Cody." He forces a smile, but he honestly looks like he's about to throw up.

"He's very shy, as you can see," I laugh, trying to cover the awkwardness in the air.

"I can see," she chuckles. Cody releases my arm, finally, and stands up a little straighter.

"Would you like to go out for some coffee or something, later? Maybe. I mean, if you're not busy or anything or something or..."

"Sure." She smiles, laughing again at Cody's awkwardness.

"Awesome." Cody grins, relaxing a bit.

"Is your ummm girlfriend? Sister...?"

"Oh, I'm his best friend," I say quickly.

"Yeah. Sorry. I knew you couldn't be his girlfriend because he's trying to ask me out and all, but you're so close..." she trails off, looking away.

"She's not my girlfriend," Cody confirms pointlessly.

"That's ummm...good?" She smiles sheepishly, blushing. Cody shuffles his feet awkwardly, and I clear my throat.

"Right," I say, hoping Cody will speak up already.

"I get off work at 3 today, so I'll see you after that?" Lindsey asks, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.