Chapter 14: WOW

"Hi Chase." I breathed.

His eyes searched my face. Taking in the changes of my hair and the color of my skin. He let go of my face and gazed my body head to toe. I was self-conscience with my oversized hoodie, running shorts, and Nike's to match.

"It's really you." His voice was breathy and awed. "Come into my office. We can talk. Norma hold my calls."

He took me by the hand to his office. Closing the door behind me, he motioned for me to sit on the couch. I had found him various time curled upon the same couch, fast asleep.

"When did you get back?"

"About a week ago. Something like that."

"You didn't call?" I shook my head. He shook his in disapproval. "Why?"

"I didn't have the balls to face you. I had been gone five months. It takes time to readjust."

"Not a week." He reasoned. "You should have called me."

"I couldn't" I confessed fiddling with my fingers.

"Why? I would have come over and talked."

"I couldn't, Chase." It was more stern this time. "I couldn't face you after all this time. I couldn't come to terms that we would have to talk and talk about what happened on the island. I had tried to get over it, I did. I just couldn't. Everything has changed."

He was shaking his head. "Nothing has changed, Avalon. I waited for you-"

I cut him off. "For two weeks."

"What?" Confusion and worry present in his eyes.

"It took you all of two weeks to wait for me then give up. You ran back to Sarah. Leaving me and our love on that island as if it would go away." My voice was foreign. It was filled with so much bitterness and hurt.

"What? You think I came back here to go straight into Sarah's arms?" He paused looking at me. I was however looking at the hem of my jacket. "How dare you think so lowly of me. I did not run into her arms. Everything that has been in the press is wrong. Those pictures that have come out were from months ago." His jaw clenched. He was angry.

"In any of them, please do share, did you notice if I had a beard?" I looked at him, startled at the question. Taking a second to really look at him, he in fact had a beard. Something I thought he would have gotten rid of the moment he touched down.

Shaking my head no, he continued. "I haven't shaved it off seeming as someone had said to me they like that I had a beard." His voice as softer now. "Those pictures are old. I haven't been with anyone since you."

My heart fluttered. "Chase..." I reached out towards his hand. His palm was warm as I intwined our fingers. "I didn't know. But it was the first thing I saw when I got off the plane. I'm sorry." Tears welled in my eyes. My emotions were haywire since finding out I was pregnant.

"Honey, don't cry. There was no way you could have known." He swiped a stray tear that fell with his thumb. He left his hand on my cheek and I leaned into his touch, relishing his warm touch.

"If you must know, I have been extremely hard to work with. I was drinking way too much the first two months. I wanted to come to you I just didn't know what to say. Then I sent Tama a message to give to you, but you never responded."

"You sent me something?" It was my turn to get mad. They had something from Chase and never gave it to me?

"Yes, I sent you a letter and got a response from Tama. He told me not to contact you, that you had just gotten through the worse part of the break up and he didn't want to see you get hurt again. He was so right and I agreed with his as long as he told you I loved you." Our knees were touching as he had scooted closer through our talk.

"He never told me." I was hurt. "How could he not tell me?"

"He was being a father. Protecting you from the boy that broke your heart. Don't blame him, baby. He meant well."

"No." I said firmly. "It's not okay. I grieved so much. I thought you had left without a second thought. That you truly didn't love me. He kept it from me in my time of need. How dare he." breathing heavily, I had to calm down for the baby.

"Honey, calm down. It's okay. You're here now. I can show you how much I love you now." Then he kissed me.

All the love from both of us, was thrown into this kiss. It was intense and mouth watering. I sighed deeply into the kiss, loving the firm feeling of his lips on mine. Something I had tried not to forget the feeling of.

We pulled away breathless. I had to tell him that I was pregnant. He had a right to know. It was now or never.

"Chase, I have something  to tell you."

"What is it, baby?" He pulled away from kissing my neck to give me his attention.

I took a deep breath and swallowed hard. A lump quickly rising in my throat.

"I-I'm pregnant."

"What?" Anger, shock, worry all painted in his expression.

"I'm pregnant." I said louder and more confident. Now or never.

"W-what?" A hand quickly slid through his hair in frustration.

I pulled his hand up from his side where he had let it fall. Pulling my hoodie up to reveal my stomach, I laid his hand on my bump. He flinched when his hand rested fully on my stomach making me grimace as he did so.

"H-how?"

"Well, babies are made when a boy and a girl have sex. Then we they forget to use protection or protection didn't work, a baby is made." My tone sarcastic and angry. This was not rocket science which he is making it out to be.

"I know that." he snapped.

"Then why did you ask?"

"How do I know that this baby is even mine? Huh? For all I know you could have slept with Hito or Kai." I flinched at his tone. So harsh and degrading.

"How dare you think so low of me?" using his own words made him coil back a bit. "I have been on that island for five months wondering how the hell I was going to come home and face you. Then I found out about my baby. You were my first, Chase or did you forget that? I loved you so much it hurt. I couldn't even bare the thought of letting another man touch me.

"So excuse me for trying to come here and let the father of my baby know that he was expecting. So if you'll excuse me, I'm leaving." I was talking lowly, deadly. My voice was becoming hoarse and tears were streaming down my face.

Standing up, I pulled my jacket down and ripped open his door. The elevator doors were open when I went to get in and the last thing I saw was the helpless look on Chase's face as he stood in the doorway. Pathetic that someone who 'loved' me treated me.

If I had to raise this baby on my own, so be it. I didn't need him. If he couldn't man up enough to expect a son, then he wasn't man enough to have my heart.