Prologue

She stood in the shade of the roofed pathway, waiting for those two boys to show up. She wore the middle school uniform and pulled at her skirt distractedly. She was a middle school third year, even if she was actually far beyond that level with her prodigious mind. Her black-dyed hair was up in tightly-curled pigtails and she had caramel-sweet eyes in a golden amber dream. She hated them, but her father wanted her to wear them so those two boys wouldn't recognize her, and so she wouldn't be bullied for her eyes. She knew he was just trying to keep her out of fights, though, because she would punch the bullies. Her father was the only reason she was at the school; her mother had already forgotten her after her five years gone, working for the government in the technology department, since she was an elementary third year.

She was standing there because she wanted to talk to those two boys just one more time. She wanted to tell them off for how they treated girls. She'd already told the girls off, though, because they were just as much at fault.

Hikaru walked up to her while she was lost in thought and waved the fake love letter in her face. "I got your letter, but you put it in my desk on accident. I'm Kaoru." She looked away sheepishly while scoffing in her mind. Kaoru, my ass, she thought. "Hikaru doesn't like you that way, though. But I do find the way you smile incredibly cute," he said, getting close to her face and lifting it with his index finger so she looked him straight in the eyes. "Would you be okay with me?" he asked in a way that other girls would find seductive. Yeah, how about FUCK NO.

She pulled away quickly and wiped at her cheek to get the condensation from his breath off of it. "Eww, gross, no. It would be weird to date either of you, and I wouldn't want to anyways, considering how the both of you treat girls." She stood straight and stared him straight in the eyes with her most devious smile, the one the school-they-had once known her best for. She rolled up her right sleeve and curled her hand into a fist. "I just figured you should be taught two lessons in one, both of you." She then sucker-punched him square in the nose, catching him by surprise and making him fall to the ground. She pulled her sleeve back down and continued staring Hikaru. "And you look utterly ridiculous hiding in the bushes like that, Kaoru." She turned on her heel and began to walk away with taunting, swaying hips as Kaoru ran to his brother's aid, Hikaru with a bloody and possibly broken nose.

"How?" Hikaru said in a nasal, muffled voice from the blood running out of his nose.

"How can you tell us apart?" Kaoru finished for him. She stopped with one hand on her hip.

"Simple. I'm a triplet. My brothers just don't remember that I exist. Don't you see the resemblance," she spoke, a threat and a cry on her breath. She felt their eyes on her back, but she never turned around, instead entering the school once again and heading for the front entrance. She sighed and shook her head. Sometimes I wonder how we're even related, let alone triplets.

She approached the black limo that had pulled up in front of the school. The passenger side window tinted to almost solid black rolled down so she could see a member of the national police.

"Yes, what is it?" she asked coolly, flipping a pigtail behind her shoulder.

"You'll be going to America for your Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate's degree at Massachusetts' Institute of Technology. We have your bags packed and your flight ready. You will leave immediately," he said, making it straight and to the point. She nodded and kept a straight face while all she wanted to do was cry. I didn't even get to know my brothers or mother again and now I have to leave for another country?

"Will I ever come back to Japan, sir?" she pleaded quietly. He nodded, and she let out a silent sigh before getting in the back. She made a promise to herself then.

I'll see you again, and when I do, we'll play the game I wanted to play. I already won yours, but my game is much harder. The "Find the Secret" game.

 The game meant to help them find her. Their triplet sister that was taken away at nine years old.