Chapter Seven

Isabella stared out the shop window, her mind a million miles away. Against her wishes, Hayley and Rebekah had basically dragged her out shopping with them today. Hayley insisted it was to lift her spirits. They thought it was the trauma of her recent attack that had kept her locked in her room the past few days. Oh, how wrong they were. Avoidance was the main reason for her self imposed lockdown.

She and Niklaus hadn't spoken in days, not since her rather explicit dream. She'd avoided him for days. And today was no exception. She refuse to allow herself to be alone with him, for fear that she would give into temptation.

Her gaze shifted back towards Hayley, who twirled in front of a large mirror. She sported a dark red dress. Rebekah looked on with approval. "It looks lovely." She commented.

"Isabella? What do you think?"

She faked a smile, "I agree with Rebekah."

Hayley smiled brightly, taking one last look at herself before darting into the dressing room, "Alright, your turn now." Rebekah turned her attention towards Isabella.

"I'm really not in the mood," Isabella insisted.

Rebekah rolled her eyes, "You aren't seriously considering showing up to the party in that, are you?"

Isabella sat up straighter, "What party?" She'd heard nothing of a party.

"Marcel and Klaus are hosting a charity event this evening and we've been invited." Hayley explained, popping out of the dressing rooms.

Her heart filled with dread, "Niklaus will be there?"

Hayley gave her a confused look, "Considering he's funding it, then I would assume so," She settled herself next to Isabella on the window sill, "what's going on between the two of you anyway? Klaus says your avoiding him but won't say why."

Isabella blushed with embarrassment, "it's complicated."

Hayley laid a hand on her shoulder, "Whatever it is, you can tell me," Her gaze turned sharp, "He didn't hurt you did he? If he did, so help me..."

"No!" Isabella exclaimed, interrupting Hayley, "It's nothing like that."

Hayley nodded, "then what is it?"

Isabella let out a heavy sigh. The was no way Hayley was going to let it go. There was no way out. Isabella had to tell her, "whenever I'm around Niklaus, I get these feelings."

Hayley looked confused, "What do you mean, feelings?"

Isabella looked away before continuing, "My skin burns at his very touch. My legs feel weak and it gets hard to breathe. I have a hard time even thinking straight when he's near."

"Oh, my, god! You have the hots for Klaus?" Hayley exclaimed, "why didn't you tell me?"

She shifted slightly, "well, because of the...," her gaze lowered towards Hayley's stomach.

"because of the baby?" Hayley guessed, finishing Isabella's sentence. Isabella nodded, "oh, isabella. I can assure you that, aside from my pregnancy, there is nothing between Klaus and i."

"I know that but still, I'd feel guilty if I acted on my feelings towards him." She nibbled on her bottom lip! "I'd feel like I was betraying you or something."

"Well, don't. I think you and klaus would be good together."

Isabella didn't get a change to respond to Hayley's comment. Rebekah pulled Isabella from her seat and shoved a rich, emerald green into her hands. "Try this on," Isabella started to protest. Rebekah held up a hand, silencing her, "I insist."

* * * *

Isabella stared at her reflection in the mirror. She was dressed in the garment Rebekah had insist she try on earlier. It looked as gorgeous now as it had them. The dress fit just right, the materials hugging her frame in all the right places. The neckline plunged a bit lower than she would have liked but that was something Isabella was willing to overlook just for tonight.

"You look positively radiant," Niklaus said, appearing in the doorway. Isabella did not have to turn around. She could see him quite clearly in the mirror as he approached, hands behind his back, "I hope you don't mind the intrusion. But I wanted to give you something before the party."

He drew a gift box from behind his back. She turned slowly, shock overcoming her. He had bought her a gift? She was completely speechless. He opened the box, revealing a beautifully gemmed emerald choker.

"Niklaus, its beautiful!" She gushed. No one had ever given her such a gift in all her years.

"May I?" He asked, taking the necklace from the box. He promptly discarded the box onto the bed.

Isabella turned back towards the mirror. Niklaus brushed aside her braided hair. His arm reached over her shoulders, settling the choker against her skin. Fingers trailing across her skin, his arms retracted and he fastened it. She expected him to remove his hands but he didn't. Instead, he gently caressed the back of her neck.

"Hayley and I had a very interesting conversation earlier," He leaned his head closer to hers, his hand gliding down her neck. His fingers slowly made their way to her bare shoulder. His other hand lifted and came to rest on her other shoulder, "she gave me her blessing."

"Blessing? For what?" Isabella spoke, her voice barely a whisper.

Their eyes met in the mirror. He smirked conspiratorially before planting a soft kiss where the choker ended and her skin began. His other hand wrapped around waist, pulling her hard against him. He continued kissing and caressing both sides of her neck and shoulders until she began feeling faint.

"Niklaus..." She gasped as one hand travelled a bit too far down her back. He stopped, chuckling to himself.

"Had enough already?" He forced her to turn, fingers stroking the side of her face, "You've no idea how hard it has been not to touch you these past few days."

Isabella could not form a proper response. Her mind felt muddled, unable to form a coherent thought. Her gaze drifted towards her lips, her eyes asking a silent question. "As you wish.." He murmured, lowering his head.

"I hate to interrupt," a voice called from the doorway. Niklaus pulled away, all but glaring at Elijah's standing form.

"What is it now, Elijah?" Niklaus growled, storming towards him.

Elijah held up two hands in a gesture of peace, "Marcel requested our presence early if you recall."

Niklaus let out a small groan before turning back towards Isabella, "To be continued."