chapter one nine

I watched from the end of the hallway as he spoke to Ashley at the front door. A jab of what felt like jealously passed over me as I watched her converse back with him easily smiling as she spoke in horrible Russian to him. He would smirk and speak in English losing me in their conversation that I was snooping on.

Why was I being treated like this? All I honestly wanted to do was leave and forget I met him.

Liar.

Yes,they were nice but it still terrified me that these monster maybe the same kind that burned down my home and killed my parents. Now I am being told I was to help them in their quest. A prophecy? I want to believe that this is all make believe but the evidence was all there. Plus, there is no telling when those things were going to attack again. I've been lucky all these years but it's bound to run out soon.

He placed a hand on her shoulder pulling her in for a hug sending a pang of jealous straight to my stomach. I frowned, I think I've been around these rich people too long that I've gone mad.

I crawled backwards and went back into the room shutting the door behind. A sigh passed through my lips and I ran a hand through my hair. I was suddenly really tired and wanted nothing more to crawl into his bed.

Taking a few steps backward I got a running start and jumped onto the tall bed face planting into the sheets. His scent surrounded me and warmed me. I moan of content passed my lips right before I snatched one of his pillows and hugging it to my chest and hoped for a peaceful sleep.

•••

Waking to the sound of scratching against glass I shot up looking around the dark room. Instantly my hand reached out and turned on the side table lamp warming the room with light. My gaze slowly took in the empty room and watched the blizzard swirl around outside the window.

Deciding I had enough sleep I slid from the bed. My feet touched the fuzzy rug and felt a shiver crawl up my back. Something was wrong. I pull open the door and found the loft dark without anyone around. Just outside the door was a pile of clothes and a pair of thick leather combat boots. I pick them up and shut the door, quickly pulling on the black, thick leggings as well as big wool sweater.

Fully clothed I open the door and walked out still cautious by the extreme silence. They couldn't have left me alone, could they?

I flicker the lights on and the loft lite up like Christmas. A sigh passes my lips and I run a hand down my face. They had left me alone. A sliver of fear started to creep up as I checked back to the memory of scratching on glass. Glancing at the clock it was close to midnight.

I didn't understand what took the presence of everyone that they allowed me to be left alone. A sudden thought came up. I could escape. I could leave and never deal with this. My hand went for my white coat and froze.

Everything in my stomach told me not look behind me. The faint wind that blew red locks in my face wasn't the heating. My hand latches onto my coat and I slowly make my way to the door. Fingers tight around the knob I turn it and am instantly am yank back the door flinging open and I fall hard to the wooden floors.

The lights shut off and I'm drowning in darkness as I'm pulled through the loft. I grab onto everything trying to stop myself but have no luck. My screams echo  through the room as my cries fall to deaf ears. Before I knew better I'm eating snow and drug across the balcony closer and closer to the ledge. My heart is pounding and my fight is dwindling the closer we get to the edge.

It was a loft suite for a reason. We were on the top floor.

My screams take a higher pitch as I feel my body drop and instantly my finger grip onto the cold railing. I scream as I feel whatever has me yank down wanting me to fall to my death. The cold cramps my fingers and I will my body not to hold on tight.