Prologue

Zayn's POV

There's always a secret hiding place or a special spot best friends have to go to play or to share secrets. For me and my best friend Niall Horan, we have the tree house in his backyard. I still remember the summer two years ago we built it with his dad. We weren't much help though because we were only six at the time, but it was still a place we both had to keep all our toys and secret boxes of cookies. We only went there to have fun, but today was different.

Niall pulled my eight year old self by the hand out his backdoor straight to the strong oak tree in his backyard. My mummy had broght me over for a play date while she talked to Niall's mum, but when I walked into Niall's house both of them were crying and there was no sign of Niall's dad. I didn't ask anything though because I couldn't think of what had made my best friend since we were one years old cry or look so confused.

We both made our way up the ladder, me having to help Niall because he was shorter than me and not as strong me. Once we got in the actual tree house, Niall pulled the single bean bag chair from the corner then plopped himself in it with a frustrated groan. Normally we wrestle each other for who gets to sit in it, but he didn't seem to be in the mood for wrestling.

"What's a divorce?" He whispered to me. His blue eyes were big and full of curiosity as well as tears. I looked down at my beat up sneakers, then looked at my best friend's blotchy face. I knew what a divorce was and what I knew of it wasn't good. Niall scoot over on the bean bag chair and looked at me for me to sit with him. I did just that and thought of why in the world he wanted to know what a divorce was.

"It's when married people don't stay married and move into different houses." I told my best friend. That only caused him to whimper before he started crying. I wrapped my small arms around him to comfort him.

"My parents are getting divorced, Zayn! I don't want a new house though!" He cried to me. At the time, my mind couldn't really wrap around what this ment for my best friend. I didn't know if he would get a step dad like that one boy in our class Louis Tomlinson got. I didn't know if he would have to move to a new house every weekend like our other best friend Harry does with his divorced parents. I didn't really know anything except for the fact I didn't like seeing my best friend upset.

"It's okay, Niall. Maybe you can just live in your tree house and not have to get a new house. We can both live in your tree house together. Our own place to be whatever we want to be." I told him quietly. Niall turned his head to look at me and smiled even though he was still sad looking. I smiled and gave him a tighter hug. I know that when I'm sad I always like when my mummy or daddy give me hugs, so I know this will make him happy.

"We can be anything?" He asked me quietly as he sniffled a little. I nodded to him, getting a bigger smile from him. All I could do was smile at him and believe that even with this horrible news of his parents getting a divorce, I made him happy.

Little did I know what the future held for my slowly breaking best friend. If we did know, we would have stayed in that tree house and never came down to the real world.

A/N: So this is my new story! It's based off the 5 Seconds of Summer song Jet Black Heart. I love that song to death and really found it inspirational. Obviously, the characters in this story are going to be different than any of you will expect and there will be some sort of mystery going on, so that's exciting!

I'm warning you all this is going to be a dark fan fiction, but I will put in allot of fluffy parts and of course smut ;) haha

I know I said I was going to take a break, but this idea was burning on my mind and I need to write it like right now! Also, I'm experiencing some emotional/mental health issues and what's a better way of expression them than through being creative! I'm excited for this and I hope you guys are too! I'm back and ready to go!! Are you guys ready for this?!?!??! Comment / Vote!
- Bri;)