A Greaser Story: Chapter 4

2 Months Later

“And that’s how Rome fell. Any questions?"

RING RING

"Alright, everybody have a good weekend, stay safe.” The teacher yelled, trying to talk over the business and noise going on in the hall. “Finally, the weekend. Two whole days to spend with Troy. No teachers, no school, no homework, and no basketball games.” I muttered, excited.

“Hey Rachel!” I heard someone yell over the crowd, and since I knew only one person who was loud enough to do that, it wasn’t hard to figure out who it was. “Hey Claire, I’m over here by my locker.” Turning around to empty my locker for the weekend, I heard all of the complaints as Claire broke through the crowd to get to my locker. It didn’t take long.  

“Hey... Ray. So, what are you and Troy doing this weekend?” she asked, slightly out of breath. "Truly Claire, I don’t know.” I confessed. What would we do? What if we couldn't think of anything? What if we did something and it didn't work out? Oh gosh…

Who knew that having a boyfriend could be so complicated.

“Well there he is. Why don’t you ask him?” Claire asked, knocking me out of my rampage of thoughts. “Wouldn't that be kinda weird? Shouldn't we go with the flow?” “Of course not, you’re dating him. You are dating him, right?” she asked, suspicious. “Well... I guess you could say that. I mean he did ask me out, but we haven’t let the whole world know yet.” I explained.  

When we started dating (about three weeks after the party) our relationship skyrocketed. It turned out that we both had a lot in common, and what we shared strengthened our relationship even more. So, to keep it strong and (hopefully) drama free, we decided to not announce it to the world.  

“So just ask him.” “No.”  We were bickering back and forth when Troy came up behind me and put his arms around me, which was odd for him. Normally we didn't show affection in public.  

“Hey sweetie. What’s going on?”  “Ummm...” “She’s just shy about asking you if you have made plans for this weekend.” Claire blurted out loud enough for what felt like the entire hall to hear.

“CLAIRE!” I yelled, my cheeks blushing a red, apple color. “Well at least it’s out there now. So, where are you going to take Ray?" She started, turning her attention to Troy. "Maybe out to dinner, or you could go roller skating, or if you really want to do something fun maybe you’ll take her out dancing!” She squealed with delight at the romantic dates rolling through her head.  

“Actually, I was planning on the drive-in movie. Want to go Ray?” “Sure.” I agreed, relieved. A movie, nothing to get stressed over. “So the movie starts at dusk. How about I pick you up at 6:30?” he asked. “Sure. That sounds great. Do I need to eat before you pick me up?” “Nah, we can grab something either at the movie or on the way home.” He finished it all off with one of his genuine movie star smiles.

“Okay. See you at six Troy.” I said, smiling huge. “See you then.” He walked off, heading towards the door to the parking lot.  

“Like, OMG Ray. I can’t believe he's taking you to that movie. Guys only do that when they really like you.” Claire jumped up and down with excitement. “What are you talking about Claire?” By now the halls were basically empty, and Claire and I could talk freely as we walked to my car.  

“Duh, Troy likes you! A lot! Come on, let’s head to your house! We have to get you ready.”

At Rachel’s House