Chapter 35 [I'm Sorry but I Love You]

Start from the beginning

“I understand. It must be so frustrating; he is your only son and heir to the throne.” I added. The queen chuckled ruefully.

“But I can see why he decided to risk everything for you. You are an exceptional young lady.” I could hardly believe my ears. Stunned I bobbed a curtsey while the queen smiled, i was too dazed to say anything. I could have sworn she hated my guts. It was quite the revelation to know that she did not. To think that she actually approved of me, the feeling was positively euphoric. too bad i was not going to be her daughter in law no longer. 

But before I could get far, once again I was called by her royal highness. This time she had seated herself with a tea cup in her hand.

“Yes Your Majesty?”

“Shall I look forward in seeing you wedding my son again, few years into the future?”  her head slightly tilted as she waited for my answer.

Gall rose to my throat using guilt as their back burner. I swallowed the bitter feel of betrayal and tried to ignore the pulsating pain in my heart. It had to be done; it was for the greater good. I kept reminding myself that but the aching was too much to ignore.

I smiled humorlessly. “If Aiden will ever forgive me for doing this… maybe.”

The queen considered for a brief moment before smiling again and taking the tea to her lips. I pivoted around and stated my walk down the hall. I could have sworn I heard the queen murmured:

“He will, of course he will.”  

Aiden was going for a short diplomatic trip to Australia today, visiting the newly inaugurated President of the Land Down Under. The car was ready and the luggage had been stowed away with the driver waiting for the crown prince to say goodbye to me.

I was holding back tears while Aiden hugged me tight, a cheery smile playing on his lips. He was dressed impeccably in dark green blazer and black jeans. The subdued grey t shirt was peeking from underneath the blazer while dark shades hid his blue eyes. I was going to leave Voltaire myself after he left and head on to my moms. In a few days I was going to board the plane for London. And by the time Aiden was back, I was long gone.

When Aiden tried to pull back I hugged him tighter still. He chuckled and looked down upon me, staring into my eyes with his own hidden by the sunglass. “Now now, I’ll be back by the end of the week.”

“I know….” I hid my face in his chest, rubbing my cheek to his shirt. The smell of his cologne wafted in my nose, calming my traitorous heart slightly.

“I wish you can come with me.” He said, fingers caressing my back. He dropped a kiss onto my temple and the painful tug in my heart worsened. If I can have my way I wanted us to stay this way forever. But love requires sacrifices. I had to let him go even if I was going to run upstairs and cried my eyes off, the moment his car left the driveway. Gathering myself I sighed and stepped away from Aiden.

“I don’t want to disturb your work there.” I tried to smile.

“I’ll see you in a week?” Aiden leaned in for a lingering kiss. It felt too tender, too excruciatingly painful that when he pulled away a drop of tear escaped my eye. I hastily wiped it away but Aiden had spotted the manifestation of my emotion already.

“My love…” he drawled and pulled me in another hug. “It’s only a week.”

I shook my head and chuckled apologetically. “I’m fine.” I wiped any trace of tear left before I took both of his hand and looked him in the eyes. those beautiful, beautiful eyes of his.