Chapter 13

Chapter 13

     "STOP WHACKING ME WITH YOUR NOODLE!" Alex laughed, his face and hair drenched with either sweat or water.

     "No! Get out of my fort, you filthy peasant!" Jack yelled as seriously as possible while smacking Lex with a foam noodle.

     "C'mon, Brint, get in!" Rian said over Jacks voice. I shook my head and looked at Cassadee who was lounging on one of the pool chairs getting a nice tan, then shook my head at him again.

     "Brintleyyy," Alex whined. The pool was deep, up to Jack's chin without him standing on tippy toes. I can't swim. Suddenly, I felt two hands on my back, pushing me into the water.

      A scream fell from my lips as I lurched into the water that then inflated my lungs. A panic going through me, I became unable to reach the ground, a disadvantage to being short. My arms flailed around me, in an attempt to keep myself from subsiding further into the water. The world around me faded darker. My limbs were jerking in all directions, part of me trying to swim and part of me trying to find something or someone to hold on to. After what seemed like an eternity, two muscular hands gripped my forearms and wrapped them around the owners' neck; then I was pulled upward above the water. Coughing uncontrollably, I wrapped my legs around Lex's ribcage and hung on for my life.

     "Oh my God, Brint, I'm so sorry! Why didn't you tell us you couldn't swim?" A distressed Jack asked. I ignored him and wrapped my entire arms around Alex's neck and rested my head on the back of his shoulder. Once again, I couldn't catch my breath.

     "It's okay... Jack," I made out between breaths.

     He pried me off of Alex's back and pulled me into a hug, holding me above the water. "I'm so, so sorry," he whispered. Aw, he was so delicate.

     "It's okay," I murmured and faked a smile, looking over at my boyfriend who was staring at my body keenly. Oh shit. His eyes traveled back up to mine, a look of hurt and irritation in his eyes. I wasn't planning on going in the water; only tanning and sitting on the edge. Water and makeup don't mix. The bruises and scrapes were in full sight; ones Alex had yet to know about.

     He looked away silently. No one there knew but him. I don't even think Jack or Rian knew. About the miscarriage, maybe, but not about... "You alright?" He looked back at me, annoyance on his face and in his tone.

    I let out a weak, "Yeah."

    "Great. I'm going back to the hotel. I'll catch up with you guys later," he said and climbed out of the pool. I grabbed onto the concrete side and pulled myself off of Jack.

    "Hey," I called. He couldn't wait until we got back? Seriously?

    "What?" He stopped and looked over his shoulder.

    I stayed silent, only replying with a bare, "Never mind."