Scamming the Prince

Start from the beginning

"Melanie--" he paused for a while and started into space before looking at me again, "Well, seeing as you live in this house you deserve to know. My job is moving away to Iceland, they said they'll get more profit there. They're now firing their employees and that leaves me jobless." he stopped and chuckled weakly, "And now homeless too."

"What are we going to do? You're going to get another job, right?"

"I don't want to talk about this anymore. Will you please go get Sophie's medications. Her cold is only growing worse. They should be ready now, give them this card to confirm you ordered them," he handed me a frail paper with information printed on it, "If I had the money, Sophie wouldn't have been sick for two years. Two years!"

"But you don't and it's not your fault--"

"I spent all my money on those doctors and they didn't even do shit for Alice! They let her die in their hands--now I don't have a job, I'm losing my home and my four-year old daughter has been sick and I can't do anything." he yelled. It seemed he had since stopped talking to me and was now talking to himself. I grabbed my messenger bag and walked out the house.

I hadn't even been walking for five minutes before I was stopped. "Melanie! How's your father doing?" Mr. Kelly asked, waving at me from his porch. Mr. Kelly was a nice old man who'd been a family friend for years, maybe he'd let us stay with him if we...when we lose the house.

"He's fine, Mr. Kelly," I lied, "How are you?"

Mr. Kelly stepped down from his porch and walked over to me. The street was clear as always, only a few cars drove by here sometimes. "Look at you! You're looking more like your mom everyday. You got her big brown eyes. How's Sophie? Has she got better?" he asked putting his hand on his hips and leaning back on air.

"Not really, I'm going to pick up her medicine now."

Mr. Kelly gave me a long look before he nodded, "Now if your dad needs any help--any at all. You tell him to come see me." I nodded and continued walking to the store.

Once I got there I was held in line by three women gossiping to each other while waiting at the front desk. All of them were thin and lanky and unattractive. "I heard his father's is on bed rest," woman number one commented softly.

"Well, what the hell do you expect?! The old man's ninety-something!" woman number two retorted while rolling her eyes. I tried tuning them out while I reached in my bag for the paper my dad gave me but the third woman was the loudest and she was pretty hard to ignore. 

"I heard his son is still single, not even dating. Now if he needs a wife, I'm available," she smiled.

"Like the Prince would choose you!"

So that's who they're talking about. Prince Nicholas. I personally loathed the royal family. They sat around in their gold coins or dollar bills or whatever it is they had in the castle and ignored poor cities such as mine to leave us to fend for ourselves!

"Why would he choose any of you when he can have me?!" the first woman scoffed.

"Handsome, rich, and royal. That's my type of man," the third one commented as she took the white bag from the nurse and they all walked away, continuing their conversation. My ears, however, had perked up at rich. There was no doubt about that, he was rich. And apparently a bachelor. 

"I'm under Ronald Wellsman," I told the nurse while handing the paper to prove myself. She scanned it and then reached behind her to get a ready similar white bag she'd given to the women seconds ago. I thanked her then walked away, my dad probably already paid since she didn't comment on money.

I found myself thinking back to the subject I had eavesdropping on. The royals were the wealthiest in the country of Printon. And if the women were right then Nicholas would be taking over his father's position pretty soon and would be in need for a bride. If I married the Prince dad wouldn't have a financial care in the world.

Not to mention I could hire the best doctor to treat my sister! But that was just wishful thinking. I wouldn't be able to stand an hour with that snobby over-pampered man let alone a marriage. Plus, the chance of the Prince meeting me and proposing was about 500,000 to 1. 

Or so I thought.

Alright, so if you guys don't mind I'd like opinions on whether to continue or not. Is it boring? Interesting?