The Fury

The media is what Jenna's compound bow looks like.

Jenna's POV

The day started out pretty normally, like any other day.  I left my apartment in Manhattan, and headed to work at the restaurant down the street. I couldn't stop thinking about the archery competition I was competing in next week. I was the best archer in the state, and I competed regularly. When I arrived at work, my best friend Elizabeth was already there, standing behind the counter. She smiled at me as I walked over.

"You were almost late today, Jenna," Elizabeth said. She spun around, her blonde hair swishing as she grabbed a plate from the window. 

"I know," I said. Elizabeth set the plate in front of a customer.

"Hurry up and get your apron on. It's morning rush hour," she said jokingly. 

"Jeez, I'm going," I replied with a smile. I walked into the break room and fastened my apron on. I looked in the mirror hanging on the wall. I had always been told that my looks were striking, but I didn't really think so. I had long, dark brown hair and bright blue-gray eyes. I turned away from the mirror and started my shift.

Elizabeth and I took our lunch break at around noon, and we decided to walk to the deli. As we headed outside, something darted into the alley next to the restaurant. I stopped in my tracks.

"Did you see that?" I said.

"Uh, see what? Are you ok? You look a little pale." Elizabeth said frantically.

"Did you see that thing that just went into the alley?" I said. A flash of lightning cracked across the sky, and then it started downpouring.

"Uh, no,"Elizabeth said. 

"Let's go," I said, and we continued to the deli. When we got there we ordered sandwiches, but I didn't eat very much. I couldn't stop thinking about that thing in the alley. We finished our lunch and headed back to work. We arrived at the alley and I saw something out of the corner of my eye.

"Hey, Elizabeth, I want to check something out back here," I said.

"No, don't," she replied.

"Why not?"

"Just don't."

"Whatever, I'm going." I headed into the alley.

"Fine, but I'm coming too." She followed me, and I walked further into the alley. It got darker as I walked, but I didn't really care. I saw something glint at the end of the alley. I headed toward it, but behind me Elizabeth screamed.

"Elizabeth!" I shouted. She didn't respond. My heart was racing in my chest. Something was going to kill me. I touched the necklace I was wearing and my bow and arrows appeared, hovering in the air in front of me. I grabbed the sleek black compound bow and slung my matching quiver across my back. I readied an arrow in my bow and slowly turned around. In front of me was a Fury, and Elizabeth was slumped against the wall to the side of it. I remembered fighting a Fury when I first escaped from my adoptive parents' house. I pulled my bowstring back to my face, aimed, and then shot the Fury. It disappeared and left behind a pile of gold dust. I ran over to Elizabeth. She was alive and looked like she was sleeping. I shook her awake and told her what happened.

"We need to get you to Camp Half-Blood. You're a demigod, Jenna," Elizabeth said.

"I'm a what?" I said, shocked.

"A demigod. Half mortal, half god. We are going to the safe haven for demigods. I'm a demigod too."

"Ok, who's my godly parent?"

"We'll probably find out when we get there. I'm a daughter of Apollo."

"Um, this might be important for you to know so that we can figure out who my parents are, but I'm only going to tell you if you promise not to freak out."

"I promise."

"Uh, I'm immortal."

"Woah, you must be a special type of demigod. Maybe one of your parents is a demigod instead of just a regular mortal."

"Yeah, maybe."

"To get to Camp Half-Blood we need to go to Long Island, so we are going to need a car," Elizabeth said.

"We can use mine," I replied, "It's at my apartment."

"Ok, let's go." We walked to my house and got the car. I grabbed a few things from my house, because I had a feeling I wouldn't be returning.