•Chapter 8•

Chapter 8: Dude, Did you invite Nerdsville over?

"Ha, pay up bitch." Megan says holding out her hand, I sigh staring at my small pile of money. I probably only have three hundred dollars left.

"How much?" I ask as I stare at the place I landed on, a red hotel sits on it.

"Only eight hundred and fifty." She says like its nothing, well it is nothing compared to her large pile of money.

Sighing I hand over the last bit of my money. "You win." I tell her, she claps her hands excitedly.

"I win, I win!"

I lower my head in shame. I'm usually the monopoly champ.

"Yeah, yeah shut up."

Megan brags about her win for at least five minutes. To stop her I take one of my socks off and shove it in her mouth.

"Ew." She spits ripping the sock from her mouth. Laughing at her I begin to pack up the game. It hurts that I lost, when I was little I used to win all the time. Well I was against my parents. The thought of my mum and dad made me stop. I wonder how mum is doing. I haven't called her once yet.

I quickly pull my phone out of my pocket and dial her number.

"Ashley?" Her horse voice asks.

"Hey mum."

"How are you? How is it there sweetie?

"I'm fine, It's great so far."

"That's great."

An awkward silence follows. I never thought I could have and awkward silence with my mum.

"So..uh... How's the funeral coming along?" I ask. I hear mums breathing get deeper.

"Mum? You okay?"

She coughs. "Yeah, I'm fine.....the funeral..I'm not ready for it yet. Maybe another week or two....maybe a month."

"How are you coping?" I ask. I hear a sob.

"I'm fine."

"Mum-"

"Look sweetie I gotta go."

"Mum-"

"I love you."

She hung up.

Sighing I put my phone back in my pocket, Megan looks at me strangely and I shake my head at her.

"You okay?" She asks, I shake my head sitting on my bed.

"I don't think so."

"Is your mum okay?" She asks sitting beside me. "What's the funeral for?"

My breath hitches. "Uh..... It's for my dad."

"He's dead?"

I wanted to scream ' well obviously if there's a funeral ' but I chose not to.

"Yeah...... It happened four months ago."

"What happened."

My mind flashes through everything.

"He had cancer."

Silence follows after I say those words.

"Cancer is a son of a bitch."

I nod agreeing with her.

Five years ago my father was diagnosed with stage 3 Bowel Cancer. We tried everything from radiotherapy to chemotherapy. The doctor said he had about five years to live....the doctor was right. So over the five years we made sure that my father would be happy when he died. We took him places, we showed him things. Then four months ago we found him on the kitchen floor dead.