"I know that, and I'm not trying to look at her eyes," the cashier retorts. Cody tenses, his fists clenching. I put a hand on his arm and touch his face, making him look at me. As much as I want Cody to beat the living shit out the cocky cashier, I don't want him getting hurt because of me.

"It's fine, Cody," I assure him in a soft voice. Cody closes his eyes and breathes, clearly trying to calm himself down. He pulls out his wallet and slaps 30 dollars on the counter.

"Listen to her." The cashier nods, putting the bikini in a bag and taking the money. "I'd beat you so easily in a fight, and she'd dump your sorry ass for me." Before I can snatch the bag, he takes it and comes out from behind the counter and hands it to me with a smirk. Cody grabs the bag from him and glares at him with so much anger that I'm surprised the cashier doesn't burst into flames.

"You wouldn't beat him, I would never date someone like you even if you were the last guy on Earth, and you're way out of line, boy," I say, putting a hand on Cody's chest to keep him from strangling the guy right there. "Come on, Cody." I slip my hand in his as he breathes out again. He huffs and spins around, pulling me with him.

"I'll see you at the beach, babe!" the cashier calls after us.

"One second." I stop Cody, and he looks at me. "Wait here." I slip my hand from his and walk back over to the cashier, who watches me closely.

When I'm standing right in front of him, I tilt my head to the side. "You, my good friend," I smile sweetly, "can go fuck yourself!" I raise my hand and slap him in the face. Not too hard—just hard enough for him to realize how much of a dick he's been. He gasps and stumbles back, his hand shooting to his face.

"Oh my god," Cody says behind me, and I can hear the grin in his voice. I spin around and go back to a grinning Cody. He smoothly wraps me into an embrace, and I check to see if the cashier is watching. Of course he is. I press my lips to Cody's. He stiffens for a moment, surprised, but kisses me back, softly parting my lips with his tongue. Before I know what's happening, my hands are tangled in his hair, and his hands have pulled me even closer.

"Teens these days!" I hear a man groan. With that, we break apart, breathing heavily.

"That was..." Cody looks at me, his hands still around me. I sneak a look at the cashier, who's staring at us with an angry glare. I let my hands fall to my sides and grab Cody's arms.

"We have to go," I whisper, pulling him along. We get out of the store and sit down on a nearby bench.

"That prick was—"

"Sorry for kissing you." I hear myself say suddenly.

"What?" Cody looks at me.

"I shouldn't have done that." It's like my mouth is on automatic. I look down at my hands folded in my lap.

"It's umm okay." Cody scratches his neck awkwardly.

"I'm really sorry."

"You don't have to apologize. You were just trying to show him up," Cody tries to meet my eyes, but I look away. "This doesn't change anything between us, Amb. I mean, it's not like we had sex or something."

Tears start to brim in my eyes, and I don't even know why. When I don't respond, Cody puts his hand on my knee, unsure of how to react to my actions.

"Look, if what the guy did—"

"No. It's fine. I'm fine," I respond, finally out of the strange daze. I try to blink away the tears.

"You're not fine. What's wrong? If it's not that guy, what is it?"

"I don't know. I have to go." I stand up, and Cody hands me the plastic bag with my bikini in it. "Thanks for buying me this, and I'm really sorry." I keep looking down with my hair shielding my face. I don't want him to see me cry for a reason that I can't even pinpoint.

"What are you even apologizing for? You did nothing wrong," Cody says softly, trying to see my face.

"I'll call you later." I pass him and walk off quickly. I honestly don't even know what my problem was. I guess I was just upset. One thing I do know. Kissing him... it was amazing. It was like nothing and no one else existed but him. And that damn lip ring... Oh my god.

I stop in my tracks and look up in realization.

"I love him," I whisper. I always thought I just loved him as friend, but all I want to do right now is kiss him again. That explains everything. Why I felt so sad... he doesn't feel the same way about me. It doesn't change anything, and we're just going to be friends forever. Maybe not even friends. He's going to win over Lindsey, probably, and forget about me. I'm not as pretty or as skinny or as anything as her. I'm just plain old Amber.

I start walking again, my head down. My phone rings in my bag. I ignore it and keep walking. Once outside the mall, I take a look at my phone, and I already have several calls from Cody.

I decide to text him so he won't worry.

Me: Hey. Sorry. I'm not feeling too well. ttyl xx

He replies almost instantly.

Cody: Don't u need a ride??

Me: I'll take a cab or walk.

I walk across the street and decide I won't waste money on a cab. The only issue becomes my heels.

Cody: Okay. Call me later plz xx

I put my phone away and sigh. I wonder what the fuck I'm doing.