The Thoughts

Ezra turned around to Aria, the one who he was still in love with. The girl looked at her ex-boyfriend with a worried expression, until she looked down towards his abdomen, and saw the one thing she was hoping she wouldn't see. Blood. No. The most terrible thoughts began to bash around in her head. She couldn't stop them. I'm going to lose him, she thought. He's gone.

Ezra began to wobble just a little bit, and Aria took a courageous step forward, and held her arms out to him. As he fell to the cement ground, on top of a roof, the petite 18-year-old went down with him. She held in her sobs. She did love him. He had taken a bullet for her. He risked his life.

Ezra tried to apologize for everything that he had put Aria through, though now, it all seemed irrelevant. Aria hushed him, hoping that he would save his energy to fight. To fight for his life. Ezra's eyes began to shut involuntarily. There was nothing Aria could do but have cautious faith that he would get through this. He was strong enough. "Don't you dare close your eyes," she yelled. She let the sob she was holding in escape her mouth. "No please. Ezra. No." She was screaming for her life.

In this moment Aria knew her true feelings. She loved him. She loved Ezra Fitz. He loved her too. As the other girls scream across the balcony for help, Aria lays her head onto Ezra's chest, begging for him to wake up. To wake up from this brutal nightmare. Everything she was mad at him for was forgotten. There was no trace of the betrayal she had felt just weeks before. Maybe it would come back, but tonight was not the night. She couldn't lose him. The love of her life was not going to leave her. He couldn't. He just couldn't.

"I love you," Aria managed to stutter in between sobs unsteadily. "I'm sorry about everything that has happened to us. We've been through so much and we can't stop now. Please. I'm begging you." She couldn't stop. The tears were falling out her eyes as if they were filled with endless emotion.

She needed him. She needed him to help make her feel better on her worst days. She needed his poetry that she always found so entertaining. She needed his big Hollis shirt that she wore when sleeping over. The smile that she saw every day, no matter what. Whether he was happy or sad; Scared or free; he always put on the bravest face for Aria Montgomery.

No matter how hard she tried, Aria could never imagine herself with anyone but Ezra. She wanted to be Aria Fitz. When she closed her eyes, she could see children running around their future home. Everything that they had ever talked about was now being jeopardized. He needed to pull through, for everyone in the world who loved him so much.

He needed to pull through for his family.

He needed to pull through for his friends.

He needed to pull through for Aria.

They all heard sirens, and Aria took a breath. "I love you."