How to Write Romance

I've been looking forward to this chapter. It's become a trend in practically every genre there is to have some sort of shape or form of romance. That doesn't make it cliché or typical because people have come to expect it; many are disappointed when there isn't romance. I'm not a psychologist so I can't explain why we like to read romance, but the fact remains. Since it is such a key part of most stories, I've decided to include a little chapter on what makes a good romance. 

Tip #1:

The first thing you should know about writing any romance is not to rush into it. Give your readers time to get to know both characters and see how they interact first. They shouldn't be getting together for long after people start shipping them, much less before. I like to say that a romance is only good until the first kiss. The reason why is because as soon as that kiss happens it confirms that the writer has plans for them. It takes all the fun out of the guesswork and satisfies our curiosity. You never want to satisfy a reader's curiosity until the very end. 

The slower the burn, the better the romance. You should build so much tension that your readers will be bursting at the seams when the two finally do get together. And once the two characters do eventually get together, they shouldn't be busting out the "I love you"'s two weeks later, even if they have loved each other for a long time. Don't rush the relationship once it begins. Let it develop slowly but surely.  Something to note is that the lack of a build up towards a relationship that starts before the book begins is the reason why they don't emanate as much with readers.

Oh, and just a tip, but I personally hate when writers make such a big deal out of saying "I love you" in books, which happens in practically every single one. Sure, I get that it is kind of a big deal and definitely overwhelming realizing that you are in love with someone, but it starts getting eye-roll worthy after a while. It's fine for someone to believe telling someone they love them is a big step and a huge confession for them but once they start saying "I love you" after every interaction, I want to choke them. We got it the first time. The phrase tends to get over-used and it makes your story lean towards the sappy side more than the romantic side on the spectrum, which you don't want. Say it once and leave it be. The reality is that once the words have been spoken, the readers know that the two people really do love each other. We don't need ten more reminders. Call me a grump if you want to but there's a time to draw the line.

Tip #2:

I said to draw out a romance as long as possible before making it real, but there will come a time when you need to let the romance happen. How do you prevent it from becoming boring? Well, conflict is a good place to start. Realistically, all relationships have their issues so your couple should, too. That includes both an internal conflict and external conflict. 

At least one of the characters should be concerned about the consequences of having a relationship with the particular person and they should struggle with that. It could be because they are afraid of having their heart broken, the relationship will distract them from what they want to achieve, sometimes even preventing it, or they think that keeping someone close will put the one they love in danger. Those are just a few ideas. Another internal conflict stems from the belief that two people aren't supposed to be together, because of some circumstance. This is most commonly referred to as "star-crossed lovers". The reason why it is seen so commonly is because it works. You don't have to have star-crossed lovers but you should think about it and decide whether it fits your story.

The other type of conflict I mentioned was external conflict. This can be created from different viewpoints or values/loyalties between your two lovers. Like it or not, but they have to disagree and not just once in a while -- a lot. If they don't your readers will get bored; the relationship will be too stable. Sometimes the arguments even come from one person caring too much about the other that they are becoming overprotective. Although I don't suggest playing that card -- it always ends in your readers get pissed off at one person. The point is, try and keep your lovers in conflict with each other most of the time with a little bit of sweet and romantic moments in between so that we don't stop rooting for them.