Love Triangles

Hey there! For this next chapter I'm going to be talking about how to write good love triangles. Now, many of you are probably rolling your eyes at me right now. Love triangles have managed to receive a less than perfect reputation in the past. But I don't think these people are sick of love triangles; I think they're sick of bad love triangles.

Why do people like love triangles? Because they are full of conflict and tension. Readers eat that up. Unfortunately, love triangles can be done very, very wrong. The other thing is that no matter what you do, there will always be a group of people who will be very upset and angry because the protagonist didn't end up with who they wanted them to. You can't avoid this so consider that when you are writing a love triangle. Are you able to take the backlash?

If so, please read my following tips.

1. Drag it Out

This goes off of what I just said. Do not, under any circumstances, reveal who the character will end up with until the end of the story, and if it's a series then not until the last book. Why? Because some people get so pissed off by the product of love triangles that they just don't read anymore. It's sad, but true. Extreme fangirls get so engulfed in the romantic aspect of your story that they barely have a care for whatever else happens in the story. If you dash their wishes, they'll stop reading, plain and simple. To these types of people, if the protagonist doesn't end up with the "right" person it isn't worth reading. So don't reveal who ends up with who until the end. 

The next part of dragging it out is that this provides more room for conflict, more time for character development, and whole lot more of a build-up until your readers think they'll explode from uncertainty and the intensity of the story. That, my friends, is exactly what you want. 

2. Conflict

Every plot device should provide some sort of conflict. Let's all admit it: if love triangles did not have conflict, they would be boring. This doesn't mean there needs to be conflict between the two people vying for the third party in the love triangle's love but another type of conflict.

The first type of conflict is the internal struggle coming from your protagonist. For the sake of this, lets pretend that the protagonist is the one that everyone wants to be with. Her struggle is knowing who she (say they're a she) wants to be with, but this is about more than who she likes more; it is also about what they represent. You see, each person in the triangle should represent a different path in life and different beliefs. Choosing to be with one isn't just about who makes her happy, but who she wants to be

The second kind of conflict is between characters. The protagonist should have her own issues with both of the other people in the triangle, just like any romance. The only difference is that there are two people causing conflict instead of just one.

3. Unpredictable

The ending should not be predictable. So often in love triangles it is blatantly obvious who they are going to choose. I want to see none of that in your writing! Constantly surprise your readers; provide plot twists when acceptable. Don't let them think they know how the story will end. It should remain a mystery. Shippers should be concerned that their ship won't survive, but they won't know for sure. 

4. Equally Good Choices

Both of the men (just for the sake of examples) who are in love with the protagonist should be equally as well-thought out and developed as characters. Both need rich backstories and lots and lots of layers. Design them separately and pretend that they are not part of a love triangle and are simply a lover. How would they look? This way, both of them will be just as loveable as the other.