Your Style: Your Story

This chapter's main purpose is to inspire you.

I know. I sound like one of those guest speakers that come to your school to talk about chasing your dreams and butterflies and stuff. But that isn't really what I'm doing. I just want to point out the fact that your story is unique and it should be because if it isn't than there's nothing to stop anyone from doing the exact same thing. Find your style and stick with it because the way you write best is the best way to bring your story to life.

Not everyone is going to like how you write and that's just the truth of it. You won't satisfy everyone and even though it's a good idea to listen to criticism, if twenty people are telling you one thing and one person thinks you should do another, don't feel inclined to satisfy everyone because you can't.

You won't.

Do not be confined by the opinions of other people because you are your own person and have your own ideas. Explore those ideas. Experiment. One of the most important things we, as writers, need to consider, is exploring the unknown. If you don't try anything and just stick to the images in your head, they will turn to black and white. Your writing needs colour and no one can tell you how to do that except for yourself.

If someone tells you they don't like your writing style, if they don't give you any suggestions to fix it, just ignore them. Most of the time, they don't have a clue what they're talking about. If something isn't working, you'll know. If it feels right, work at it. Strive for perfection, but don't be disappointed when not everyone sees your work that way.

In the end, it is your story, and you get the final call in what happens to it. Don't let your story be bland, battered with the suggestions of people that continue to contradict each other. Let the story write itself and give it the extra bit of colour that makes it your own.

Find your style and use it.