Chapter 26 - Answers And Meeting My Mum

PREVIOUSLY: The men immediately covered their ears, bent over. I motioned for Cece to come over and she leapt out of the car. We started running as fast as we could, and I could hear footsteps behind us.

I felt something hit my head really hard and I fell down, black dots clouding my vision. All I could feel was pain, and I knew soon I'd black out. With all my remaining strength I forced my eyes open, wanting to see my sister run to safety.

"Run, Cece! I love you." I whispered as my eyes closed and darkness took over.

*****

"Ow, ow, ow." I muttered as I opened my eyes. I squinted at the bright white light, confused. Where was I?

"It's good to see you're awake." I heard a voice say. I looked around confused.

"God? "

Silence.

"I-I'm sorry I've always been disrespectful and rude to my mum, if that's what this is about. I was just tired of the way she was treating me."

There was a pause. "Go on."

Maybe because I'd been asleep for around 14 hours straight, I didn't notice the voice was a bit... Feminine.

And we all knew God wasn't a female.

"I know she loves me. But after my dad left, she changed. I was going through a bad time and I guess I took it out on her, and she took her anger and frustration out on me. I was rude and inconsiderate. I mean, her husband just left her to be a single mother, and there I was, making everything difficult. I should have thought more about her feelings and less about mine. I just wish I could tell her this..." I trailed off, wiping the tears in my eyes. I didn't know when I started getting so emotional, or delusional...

"I wish you could tell her as well." The voice said and a figure appeared.

A nurse.

"That was beautiful, honey. It's a shame she isn't here-" The nurse started but suddenly someone pushed her out of the way and before I knew it I was in my mum's arms.

"Oh, honey. I'm so, so, so, so, so sorry! I love you so much!" My mum sobbed into my shoulder. I decided to not ask how long she'd been here and what and happened.

I just appreciated having a mum to take care of me.

****

"So, tell me everything that happened after I was knocked out." I told my mum and she nodded, holding my hand. Even though she looked relieved I knew there was something troubling her.

"Okay, so you dad and his men thought the area they have driven to was empty, that there wasn't anyone there. But there was one man who was watching everything and immediately called 911. But it was too late." My mother explained then stopped, looking away and wiping her face.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in my stomach.

"They escaped." She said and I groaned in frustration.

"No! They can't get away with thi-"

"Unique." My mum interrupted. I looked at her.

"They escaped with Cece."

I gasped, suddenly feeling dizzy. I couldn't hear the noise in the ward I was in, or my mum quietly sobbing. All I could think of was my bubbly; smiley red-head sister tied up and gagged in a dark warehouse with strange men.