Juan never asks

They met outside the factory, and walked into the suffocating shop across the street where the latest rotation of pluggers rarely roamed. Occasionally, two or three metal spheres zoomed by outside, but each interruption was easily ignored.

The shop was buzzing and full. No one would remember the dirty, red-headed teenager and the tall man in the raincoat; no one would catch so much as a bribe of their whispered conversation. The others were too busy blurring their vision with drinks, worrying about pluggers, wondering about their rations, gossiping about the Weather Man....

Weiss had shielded himself well--his pearl grey suit was unscathed. Due to a lack of similar foresight, Flynn was miserably sticky and damp, mouth twisted in a scowl.

"Disgusting." Flynn stared out as the last of the green rain plopped down from the sky and formed viscous puddles.

"Isn't it?"

Flynn threw his arms in the air. "You bet it is! Disgusting. Every stinking centimetre of this place. The people, the rotting rations, the dirty, shifty houses. I hate it all. I hate it all so much. Do you have any idea--"

"Yes, I do," Weiss interrupted calmly.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to--"

"No, you didn't." Weiss's eyes crinkled at the corners and his mouth exposed two rows of gleaming teeth--a smile. It wasn't a comforting gesture, however; Flynn unconsciously stiffened. "Did you do what I asked?"

Flynn was quick to nod. "Yes, yes. Of course, of course. I always do."

"Good. Work like yours is what keeps the Line from achieving order. It's essential."

Flynn sniffled, scratching at his nose. "I don't know how long I can keep lying to Juan."

"It isn't a bother, is it?"

"What? No. Never. Of course not. Lying is like breathing. I breathe to lie. I just..." Flynn frowned as the words and their sense escaped him. "I just... It doesn't matter, anyway, does it? We're leaving today. It's over. We'll be gone before our--our Retrial."

"You're right." No longer smiling, Weiss folded his hands together. "You did good work for me. All this time, you never let me down. You deserve a reward."

"Great." Flynn grinned. "Great. Where is it?"

It turned out that the crisp white map had been stashed in Weiss's pant pocket.

"I marked the spot and the time. The forcefield will only be offline for a few minutes. You'll have to move fast."

"I will," Flynn said. "I always do." He grabbed the map and stood, all in one jumpy movement. Weiss was quiet. Sensing his dismissal, Flynn started for the door.

"Flynn?"

"Yes, sir?"

"What have you been telling Juan all this time? How does he think you came up with the plan?"

Flynn's yellow smile was wide. "I told him I met a man named Weiss. A man who works for the court. I told him that man saw something in me, so he gave me the way out. And a few perks along the way."

Weiss frowned and spoke sharply. "What do you tell him when he asks you what that man is requiring from you in return?"

"Easy." Flynn moved his eyes to the door. "Juan never asks."