"Yes Nate. Yes, I spoke with Marc. Yes I agreed to see if we could start over. Does that make you feel better?" My voice sounded weak as I asked the last question, I averted my eyes and made my way out. I hadn't looked back at him but I felt his gaze piercing into the back of my head, after what felt like hours I heard the front door shut, he had left without even as much as a 'goodbye'.

"How are you gonna fix this one, sis." Cole appeared in the doorway.

" I don't exactly know what to fix Cole. He's not misinformed I did say all those things to Marc and at the time I meant them but now,"

"You're going about this all wrong you know, you stood there and told all things you said to Marc, which by the looks and sounds of things is pretty much moot; when instead you should have been saying the things that should be said now to him." After he made his point he placed a chaste kiss on my forehead and made his way up to his room. I know he's right but something tells me it just wouldn't be that simple.

The next week went by quite uneventful except the arrival of my new SUV, similar to one Nate rented otherwise it was regular meeting with clients, board meetings nothing out of the ordinary that was until this morning that I receive a call Mrs. Smith, the girls case worker requesting an urgent meeting. When I had asked her about the nature of the meeting she said it was better to discuss in person, hence, now I am sitting in my chair anxious and also slightly annoyed as to what was happening and why so urgent.

" Claire, a Mrs Smith is here." Lauren voice rang over the intercom. I told her to let her in and stepped around my desk to greet her.

"Ms Romanos lovely to see you again."

"Likewise Stacy, please if I have the honour so should you call me Claire." I gestured for here to take a seat in my corner seating area, I attempted to ease the tension a bit by presented a more relaxed environment than communicating across my desk. " Can I offer you something?"

"A cappuccino, if you can." I nodded to Lauren signalling for two cups and then turned my full attention to Stacy.

"I hate to be blunt but as I have been on edge all morning..."

"I understand, the fact is we have reason to be," I visibly tensed at her statement and waited for her to continue, "the fact is the girls' father is back and is potentially seeking custody."

Once again my world just tilted on its axis, their father is back. Back from where, he wasn't there to begin with to be back and now he thinks he can just step in and take them, who the hell does he think he is!

"Claire? Claire, are you hearing me?" Stacy came to stand in front of as it seem in the middle of my internal rant I began to pace the room. "Honey sit down and have a glass of water you're looking a little pale."

"I'm fine!" I snapped at her and immediately looked at her apologetically I hadn't meant to be so cold.

"It's perfectly fine dear given the circumstances, let's just sit down and talk about this."

"He can't have them, he just can't. He never wanted them to begin with, he left!"

" I know,"

"No you don't know, Michelle would die before she would have them in his care. This is not fair, he can't do this," feeling slightly defeated as the thought slipped in that maybe he can I sunk into the couch, "can he do this?" I asked Stacy feeling quite exasperated from my outburst. Lauren came in with our coffees then, Stacy waited until she was gone before answering.

"He is their natural father therefore he does have rights but it's not hopeless for you. You've been caring for the girls for weeks now, though we may not have any documentation Michelle had left you in charge. I don't believe that you would make up such a story. It will be difficult but not impossible."