Addiction

I stared blankly at the needle in front of me, the clear liquid mocking. A war raged inside, a debate on whether or not I ached to feel the adrenaline pump through my veins as the drug filled my body. I rubbed an alcohol wipe over a vein that ran up my thigh and bordered my femur artery before I inched the needle towards the skin then-

"Aviana, let's go! We're gonna be late," Meredith shouted. I hid the needle under my bed in between the mattress and box spring then yelled back,"I'm coming!" I pulled down my pant leg, grabbing my bag then raced down the stairs to meet my coworkers.

"Geez, I thought you were still sleeping,"Izzie muttered as we hopped into Meredith's Jeep. I shook my head then declared,"N-No, just couldn't find my shoe."

We arrived at the hospital and I sped away to the locker room, bumping into Burke. He grabbed my arm as I clashed with his chest, stumbling back then pulled me forward so I wouldn't fall.

"Got some important place to be,Aviana," Burke teased, but I froze and stuttered,"N-No, sir. Just, want to get today started." He frowned then nodded, before I slid past him, scurring away to get dressed.

I pulled on my scrubs and braided my hair out of the way before I scrambled to find where I was placed today.

"Bailey." I panted as I fell in step with her. She looked over and asked,"Dr. Parker. You need something?"

"Where am I today?" She looked down at her charts and stated, "With Shepard and Karev. Shoo." I darted off to find Derek and Alex, only to discover that Alex was waiting beside a patient's room, reviewing the chart.

He looked up as I slid to a halt, then rolled his eyes and handed me the chart. I scanned the paper to find that the patient's name was Jerry Frost, he had chronic pain, and was in seven hospitals, in the last... four months!?

I looked up in disbelief and Alex nodded in agreement before we entered the room where the patient laid on his side.

"Mr. Frost, my name is Dr. Parker, and this is Dr. Karev." He rolled over and his eyes grew huge,scanning my body. Alex cleared his throat, clearly disgusted before he snapped, "How long has your back been hurting you?"

It's chronic. That means I have it all the time." Mr. Frost answered, just as annoyed. I rolled my eyes and stated sharply,"Enough. We know what chronic means. What kind of pain are you having?"

Frost grinned and said,"Feisty. How do you put up with her? Oh, man. The pain's bad. It's like a thousand samurai warriors stabbing swords into my spine. I'm allergic to aspirin..."

Alex rolled his eyes again then declared,"So maybe we'll start you on morphine." I held my hand up then protested,"There is no maybe to this,Karev. We start you on morphine, and work our way up."

" Mmmm...The only things that will work are Demerol or, uh, Dilaudid a ton of Dilaudid. That will set me straight." Frost denied. I glared at him then growled,"This is non negotiable, Mr. Frost." I caught sight of his exposed arm, and scanned the crease of his elbow to find several marks where needles pierced the skin. My thighs looked semi-similar to his arm, only my scars had faded over the years.

I nudged Alex and nodded slightly towards the scars,causing him to take notice, then my co-worker narrowed his eyes before he spat," The standard starting dose is two."

"Did you see that Tom Cruise Samurai movie? Hmm? Pow, pow, pow!"the patient cheered and I rolled my eyes before we exited the room to meet Derek outside.

"Exaggerated and overly specific description of his pain, self prescription, pow pow pow? He's a Dilaudid junkie." Karev declared positively. Shepherd nodded and asked,"So what do you do?" I stepped in," Well, you check the database for history, refer to a program, discharge."