Nine

*Tommy's POV*

Adam asked me about my troubles. He called me a friend. He said he would protect me. He TALKED to me: That is just unbelievable. No one, since my dad was alive, has cared about me enough to even look at me and have a reasonable conversation with me. When I'm with him I feel safe and all my troubles seem to disappear. I love how I am around him. I think I might fall hard for this guy.

That's what I'm scared of.

Ever since I could remember, I have let people come into my life and I have let them into my heart. And every time I do they end up abandoning me and ripping me apart.

For example; Dad- traveled with his work and was never home. One day mom yells at him and he crashed his car and ended up dying. He was the only one who understood and loved me: Gone.

Mom- blames herself for killing dad. She pays no attention to anyone but herself. She doesn't care: Here, but not attentive.

Stan (Stepdad) – homophobic, ignorant alcoholic who spoils his own kids while neglects me: Don't care.

Charlie- abusive ex-boyfriend who left me by myself: Better off without him. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of the times I had with him...

The love turned to violence, the happiness turned to pain, and the memories turned to regrets.

But that's a long story, so maybe later...

I am afraid that if I let Adam get past the walls I've put up, he will take control of me and burn my being to the ground. The problem is, I already like him a lot after a short time and he's quickly wearing the brick away.

I feel like I could trust him, but looking back on what has happened to me before, I don't know if I can do that, and it hurts me. I want to stop living in fear, but I don't think I have the strength to. I need someone to believe in, need someone to love me for ME, and I need to know that there is one perfect person out there that is supposed to be with me forever.

I think I found that someone. And I'm scared to death.