Chapter 6

When Jace and I walked into the ballroom, everyone turned to look. They didn't notice the runes on mine or Jace's arms because I used a covering rune, as there were some mundanes at the party who would wonder why I had such strange tattoos. Amongst the crowd I could see my sister Grace and my mother; they were dressed up beautifully. When I walked down onto the ballroom floor, my mother came to greet me with my sister. I hugged them both and then went to dance with the others.

However, the night of my birthday party wasn't the night that I expected it to be. I noticed someone in the room who made me shiver when I saw his face. Sebastian Morgenstern. Why was he here? I could see people here with him. Demons! Sebastian had summoned demons and had brought them to my party. Under my dress I had my hunting gear on; I was a shadowhunter, and I had to be prepared in case anything happened.

I approached Sebastian and said, "Sebastian, what are you doing here?"

He turned around and looked at me then said, "I am here because I wanted to say happy birthday to you." I nodded warily then I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was Jace's; he had come to see what I was doing.

Sebastian suddenly snapped. He pulled a knife from his pocket and pointed it at me. I stepped back a bit then grabbed the corner of my dress and pulled it away revealing my hunting gear with my seraph blades. Isabelle came rushing over and stood by the side of me and said to Sebastian. "I think you should leave. If you want to cause havoc, cause it somewhere else. I don't even know how you got demons in here anyway, this is sacred ground. Demons cannot cross onto our land."

I saw Sebastian's hand clench into a fist, then he drew it up and punched me in the face. Everything went dark.