"I find my duties as commander of our Warriors and battle preparations to be a time-consuming job; it leaves little time to search for a...mate." I had to try my best to not screw my face in disgust when I said it.

"Have you put in a request to leave your position so a more suitable wolf may take over, and you may find your mate and become a mother?" Vivian was perching forward, her golden hair tumbling off her shoulders and her eyes keen.

I clenched my fist and kept my violet eyes steady. I bit back a retort just as Jasper butted in.

"Uh...Excuse me ma'am, but as Beta, I cannot see a wolf more fit to be Gamma than Aris, she is indeed the best fit for the position." Thank you Jasper, I owe you.

"But both of you are young still, are you implying you know better than wolves with more experience?"

"I've seen Hell with my own eyes twice. My life has become solely based on my pack and their safety, nothing else. Age does not always bring wisdom, experience does, and my experience has led me to the title of Gamma, nothing else. Not my age, or mate status or my background. I've earned my place." I suddenly spoke up from where I sat, my eyes beginning to glow.

At this, Jasper and Marie stopped breathing for a minute. I was a bit shocked too, but I was sick of people treating me like this. I was the Gamma, deal with it. If you want me to prove my worth, test me, I dare you. I was going to get hell for crossing a major boundary when I was supposed to be begging for their hand in an alliance, but I don't play my life that way.

But Luna Viviana leaned back with a satisfied smile. "In a high rank, one must sacrifice everything for their pack, and I can see you have. You are a strong wolf Aris; and you make a fine Gamma.'

I felt my eyes shift back to normal and calmed down, testing me. They always test me and I always pass.

"Thank you ma'am." I nodded and she raised her head.

A knock on the door called her away and she pleaded her leave and got up, her dress trailing behind her as she stepped out. Marie let out a breath.

"Aris, you must be more careful, she is their Luna!"

"I'm sorry Luna, but..."

"No buts...I won't tell Madrid because you did no harm, but hold your tongue better, we cannot endanger this alliance or I'll see abut a change in your position, understood?" Marie can buckle down when she wants to, but I don't blame her, this is a big deal for our pack, I can't blow it. I nodded, "Yes."

"Good," she relaxed and left her seat to admire the antiques; Jasper came over and sat down with a sigh.

"Thanks for saving me." I said my voice low.

He smiled, "No problem, now you owe me."

"Yeah I guess. So what are your thoughts?" I switched the subject. Jasper's smile fell.

"I didn't like it here the second their rancid stench hit my nostrils, since we were a foot into their territory, Raid has been on edge and he wants out."

Raid was his blonde wolf. Raid was close with Pandora but Jasper told me on more than one occasion that Raid gets annoyed with Pandora because of her whining. How did I get stuck with the softest wolf in the world?

"Same, although if Pandora would shut up about finding her mate, maybe I would be a bit calmer," I sighed, smoothing my dress.

Jasper cocked a grin. "She's still on you about that?"

"24/7, it never ends." I rubbed my temples.

"Raid doesn't sound even a quarter as bad as Pandora, he gets ruffled when he sees other mates, but he's not like your wolf that constantly sniffs every wolf she crosses paths with. Sorry."

"No. Don't be, my wolf is a submissive little thing and I have no idea how I've managed this long. But what do you think about the Alpha?"

"He pries, a lot, and I know you hate that more than me, but I don't like it one bit. There is no way he'd agree to an alliance without wanting something in return, our land our warriors, our females, he could ask for anything and under the right conditions Madrid will agree." Jasper sighed, leaning forwards, resting his elbows on his knees.

I nodded, he was right, Madrid really wanted this, but surely he wouldn't give up any part of his pack for it. Right?

Just then the doors opened and Viviana appeared, Marie turned and Jasper and I rose.

"I just received word that the Alpha's have come to a decision, and we may begin our dinner, please follow me." Viviana motioned with her hand to the hall.

Marie smile and briskly strutted after the Luna, Jasper and I followed at a slower pace, before we left the room, Jasper grabbed my arm.

"Don't leave my side for a second."

I nodded. We needed to be wary even if our Alpha wasn't.

"Let's go."