Chapter 7: A slight inkling

Start from the beginning

Ethan let out an airy laugh, knitting his eyebrows in the process.

"I mean... Personally, I wouldn't mind. But Anthony's asked me not to and he is my brother, so..."

Another approach then, Lucius figured, and he lowered his eyelashes in a disheartened expression.

"I just want to get to know him better... But he won't even give me the chance."

It wasn't a lie, but there was definitely an exaggeration in his dejected tone.

To his pleasure Ethan did look taken aback, but to his displeasure it wasn't out of empathy, and he blinked as the vampire leaned forward to inspect his eyes.

"You're... Not as human as you claim either... Are you?"

A chill went through Lucius and his stomach turned into a knot. What the Waste did this man know? What could he see? Regardless, he had to laugh it off.

"What?" He chuckled, looking at Ethan as if his stare was creeping him out. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because there's something off about you." Ethan tilted his head, scanning Lucius up and down. "A strange... Air around you, if you will."

"Uh huh..." Lucius nodded in a way to imply he was agreeing while actually thinking Ethan was nuts. "... So what? Some kind of feral, murderous aura? A werecat perhaps?"

Ethan looked unimpressed by the mockery.

"To be honest? The opposite. A kind of sensation that I want to like you, despite not knowing you at all."

Lucius cocked an eyebrow.

"Maybe I'm just charming?"

"Maybe..." Ethan agreed but still narrowed his eyes at him, actually looking more curious than suspicious. "... Not that it necessarily would be a bad thing, but it would be good to know."

"Well, afraid I have to disappoint you." Lucius shrugged, frustration building from the anxiety and his wish to get back on topic. "But, uh... I guess you won't tell me anything then?"

Ethan made a thinking grimace, eyes wandering down to the tray in his hands.

"Well... I'm not allowed to tell you anything," he repeated to Lucius' disappointment, but then his face shifted into a smile. "But then... I don't think there's any harm in pointing you in the right direction?"

"I don't see why there would be." Lucius stepped back with a smile as well, holding his hands up in a shrug of equal mischief. "Especially if there's no proof you pointed me there."

Ethan chuckled, nodding in approval at the man in front of him.

"Maybe I do like you, supernatural or not," he then said, holding the tray forward. "Hold on to this, will you? And I'll go get ready. We're heading out."

Lucius gladly accepted the tray and followed the vampire with his gaze as he left towards the sitting room. He stifled a victorious cheer.

"Ethan!" a voice then rang through the house, loud and grim enough to make Lucius flinch. Had Anthony not emerged onto the balcony above he would never have connected the voice to him.

"Ethan, where the Waste are you!?" Anthony continued, barrelling down the stairs while wiping his face with a handkerchief. "For the love of Rarin, I'm going to wring your neck into a second death and throw you to the sirens!"

Lucius didn't have to look hard as Anthony removed his handkerchief to notice his mouth, chin and waistcoat being covered in a dark blue liquid, and he quickly stared down at the tray with the teapot and ink jars.