Play The Field

~ ~ ~

I walked out onto the field with excitement coursing through me. As the sun sunk lower in the sky, the temperature dropped with it and a crisp breeze blew around me.

It was cold, but I was bundled up in an over-sized black hoodie with a bright red 19 on the back of it. Right below the number was Abbott spelled out in block letters.

Jaxon had given me his soccer hoodie to wear for the game, and honestly, it wasn't likely that I'd be giving it back any time soon. Not only was it the warmest thing I'd ever worn, but it smelled like him.

I felt so creepy when that thought went through my head. It smelled like him. I sounded like a stalker or a serial killer.

I stood on the sidelines as students, teachers, and family members filled both sides of the bleachers. Both teams were doing their warm ups at opposite goals and I was pumped.

It was the first game of the season, and the team had been practicing extremely hard for this. I had my hair in a ponytail to keep it from flying around my face and I had on my warmest pair of jeans and my favorite black converse.

Jaxon and Alex were leading warm-up drills while the coaches talked to the referee. The time seemed to fly and soon enough, the ref was blowing his whistle for the start of the game. Both teams ran to their sides for a quick drink of water before going out to their assigned positions.

My stomach flipped when I saw Jaxon jog towards me. I handed him his water bottle which he took with a thankful smile.

After taking a drink he leaned down and pecked my lips. "Good luck." I said to him.

He looked down at me and smiled, brushing some loose hair behind my ear. "With you here, I've got all the luck I need."

I rolled my eyes and took back his water bottle but my smile grew. "Okay stud, go bring home a win."

He saluted me before turning and jogging out to his position as right forward. They'd already done the coin flip and the other team was starting off with the ball.

The ref blew the whistle and the game began.

The other team's forward kicked the ball forward and the team behind them immediately advanced forward. The ball went around for a while, our team took from them, they took from us, and back again.

This team was good, but our boys were better. I'd seen them in practices, they had skills like none I'd ever seen.

I cheered on our defense when the ball got a little too close for comfort to our goal. Luckily Ian got a clear spot and kicked the ball up field. He was great as a defense because he could kick a soccer ball more than half the soccer field's length.

They started to show their skill in the second quarter when they scored twice. It was 2-0 when the coach blew the whistle for half time and they all came over with smiling faces.

I went over and stood behind the coach trying to hear what he was doing about the positions. I jumped when coach's voice boomed out.

"Allen!" He yelled.

I'd grown used to him calling me by my last name. I spent a lot of time at the practices. Coach sort of made me into an assistant, making me set up cones for drills, getting water bottles from his car during practices. It was fun though, and it filled a lot of my time. The team didn't seem to mind my presence.

He probably wanted me to back off. I took a step away. "Sorry, coach."

He looked back at me and brought his hand up, signaling me forward. I stepped forward hesitantly until I was next to him.