Almost Friends

~ ~ ~

The week went on more pleasantly than I expected. After my dramatically awkward ending to dinner at Jaxon's house on Tuesday, I hadn't expected him to even acknowledge me, but he did. I'd spent Wednesday and Thursday at his house after school and, even with his distracting family, we managed to completely finish our project.

I hated to admit it,but Jaxon was not as irritating to be around as I once thought. I thought about how I would explain that to Melanie, but there was no way that she would believe me.

At first he was a complete asshole, so she would need some convincing. But lately, he'd been more friendly and the jokes that he made were exactly that: jokes.

With everyone sort of on my side, a new plan formed in my head. Rather than ruining their lives, it would be easier to just become friends with them. That way when I left, Melanie wouldn't have to worry about being tormented.

Except for Hanna. That girl needed to be brought down.

It was Friday now and I felt lighter than I had at the beginning of this week. I was content as I walked the halls towards my final class of the day, which was art. I seemed like with my new plan, things were going to be a lot easier.

I walked into the classroom and set my stuff down in my normal spot, taking a seat in the stool. Madison and Rhea entered the room moments after me and sat down as we waited for class to start.

"Okay, you guys I have a serious question for you." Madison waved her hands at Rhea and I to get our attention.

I looked at her in amusement as she fought the smile coming onto her face. She tried giving us a serious look before she began speaking.

"Why don't they play poker in the jungle?" She asked.

Rhea and I rolled my eyes at her. Of course it was one of her bad jokes.

"Why?" I asked.

She snickered slightly before answering. "Too many Cheetahs."

"Why did I ask?" I questioned to no one in particular.

"That was a horrible joke." I turned to find Braden, a friend of Jaxon and Cameron's, shaking his head in mock disapproval at Maddie's awful joke.

"It was kind of funny." I defended her.

"I have a funny joke for you guys." He grinned and leaned against our table. "Why didn't the toilet paper cross the road?"

We remained silent and his grin widened.

"Because it got stuck in a crack." He revealed.

I couldn't help the small chuckle that came from my mouth.

"That was so stupid, Braden." I told him.

"My joke was funnier than that one." Madison mumbled, though I did see her grin at his punch line.

The rest of the class entered and Mrs. Ryden started class.

"Alright everyone! I think, since it's Friday, we all deserve an easy assignment, yes?" She asked the class and we all agreed. "Great! So the only thing I want you to do is, in the medium of your choice, write your name. I know it might be a little hard for some of you, but if you forget the spelling it's right there on your school ID!"