This doesn't mean that your conflict should be about your character tripping on the sidewalk, unless this leads to a much more complex situation, like a brain injury. The type of conflict I'm referring to is being rejected or having a horrible fear of heights but being forced onto a rollercoaster. These seem very simplistic and uninteresting, but you can make them incredible. Think outside the box while still giving your readers someone with whom they can empathize. 

5. Vivid Descriptions

There is a different standard for short stories than novels. Novels often aren't focussed on imagery as much because if they included descriptions all the time it would slow down the story significantly. In a short story, however, it is usually expected that they be of a very high quality. If they aren't, they begin to seem bare overall. I can't explain it; it's just how it is.

So that means that you should try to extend your vocabulary even more, include meaningful and beautiful descriptions, and definitely use figurative language. Figurative language is a must. When I read a short story that doesn't have it, I am not very impressed. It's not hard to throw in a few analogies here and there and it adds a great deal of meaning to your story. I highly suggest you do these things and read the chapters I have dedicated to them if you have not already.

6. 3D Characters

Three-dimensional characters are required in almost every form of literature so it makes sense that they should be in short stories also. The thing is, your character will make or break your short story. 

Boring character = boring story. 

Interesting character = interesting story.

The more dynamic and unique your character is, the better the story. You should have a character that people want to root for, even though there isn't all that much time to get to know them. Plus, having a unique character will give your book that extra thing that makes it different from all the other short stories. 

The other really important thing is that the character has to be dynamic. They must go through a change. People reading want to see a character come to a realization or change their outlook or way of life entirely. It's very satisfying to read, even if the ending is on the sad side. It also contributes to theme. The more a character changes, the more apparent the message is. 

Make sure you check out my separate chapter on it if you haven't. I think it will be of help.

7. Purpose

A common thing I've been talking about in this tutorial is time. Short stories are short. Every word, every character, every single incident must have a purpose. In "Open Cage" I have two main speaking characters. And than there is one other character that says one or two lines and another character that is spoken of but doesn't have a huge speaking role. That's four characters in three chapters that are on the long side. And I would only count three of them as being really important. 

Back to time. The reason I say that everything you write must have a purpose is because you don't have the time to dilly-dally. Get your point across and finish it. Remember when I said to always write your story with a specific reason in mind? Do just that. Only include what needs to be included in order to do what you intended to from the start. 

8. Theme

This might be the most important tip for you to take away. Your short story has to have a theme. Short stories are written because the author has a message in mind that they want to get across. If you are trying to think of a theme for a short story you've written but can't, you had better incorporate one or trash it. It doesn't matter what it is, but it should be something that is important to you. 

Your Guide to Writing the Perfect Storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें