Chapter 6: Around since forever

Începe de la început

"Lady Cromwell." The man stopped in front of Lucius' desk and looked down at him, eyes cold enough to send chills down Lucius' spine. Had it not been for the smile on his lips Lucius would have thought he was there to kill him. "It's come to my attention that we need to talk."

"Um, Lord—Lord Hargreaves, if I may..." Bahman's smile was awkward, but he sure tried his best. "I was under the impression you would wait downstairs. I haven't had the time to see if Lady Cromwell is available."

Lucius adjusted his frown before anyone could spot it. Hargreaves, was it? Another one? And another Lord to boot?

He supposed the man indeed looked like another Hargreaves relative, with a paler complexion compared to Anthony and darker brown hair. The two even had the same distinct blue eyes, this man's just being of the freezing cold edition, and despite his thinner physique Lucius was willing to bet he was the oldest of the three, if only by a couple of years.

"I am aware," Lord Hargreaves replied to Bahman as he moved a chair closer to Lucius' desk and sat down. "But I believe she will want to make some time for me."

He gave Lucius another smile and Lucius mimicked the gesture, still not grasping what was going on.

"Right. Well, if it's alright with you, Lady Cromwell, perhaps I should leave the two of you alone?" Bahman then suggested, sending Lucius a sympathetic look that was far from comforting at the moment.

Lucius still nodded. What reason would he have not to?

"I'm certain you know why I'm here," Lord Hargreaves continued as the door closed, eyes relentlessly pinning Lucius down. "Merchants tend to reach out to me when things become... Difficult, after all."

He had an imperative voice. More than any authority Lucius had encountered before, but he would not be intimidated.

"I believe we may have missed a couple of steps." He flashed his best smile, arching an eyebrow just a little to imply amusement. "We haven't met before, have we? Introductions may be in order."

"I did not think that was necessary, seeing how you're the town chief and quite a big topic around town at the moment," Lord Hargreaves replied, looking rather amused himself. "And you're close enough to Anthony to be in possession of his ring, so surely you would know who I am."

Lucius only spared the ring on his hand a short glance, having forgotten he was wearing it. Then his mind began piecing things together, and he scanned the man's appearance as subtly as he could.

While failing miserably at ignoring the man's expensive, navy blue and grey clothes Lucius quickly spotted what he was actually looking for located on the man's cravat. A brooch picturing a fang split in half. The same emblem as the one on Anthony's ring.

The BBT emblem.

Lucius resisted the urge to swallow, shifting in his seat as quietly as he could.

"Well, if I must." Lord Hargreaves rose from his chair with a sigh, and Lucius blinked as if he'd missed something.

"I'm...?"

"Lord Damien Hargreaves," the man introduced himself with a light bow. "Head of the BBT."

There was no room for looking surprised, or showing any emotion at all to be safe. A thousand thoughts and theories wanted to break through to Lucius but time wouldn't allow it.

"Yes, of course. I accompanied Anthony to your ball."

"So I heard." Damien nodded. "I did not see you though, or I'm certain I would have remembered."

"Well, Anthony and I did dance, but I suppose I didn't mingle quite so much."

Damien smiled.

"Derek tells me he found you in the art gallery on the second floor. I would find it surprising if there were people to mingle with."