There wasn't really enough room for them in the main part of the cart, so I picked up my purse and gently set the pie and cookies down in its place. Just as I was trying to mentally beat my high score on grocery store Tetris with my purse two kids, no older than ten, knocked into me as the ran by.

My purse flew from my grasp as it released my wallet and keys. Everything clattered onto the tiled ground. Annoyingly, my wallet decided to let my driver's license free and it slid a couple of feet away from me.

"Oh Lord, I am so sorry for them." A woman some years older than me came scurrying over to me.

I shrugged as I bent down to start gathering my things. "It's alright." I told her.

"Here," She shuffled over and picked up my license from beside a cupcake display. As she was handing it back to me, she stared down at all of my private information. I almost snatched it from her to stop her from being so nosy, but I refrained.

Her eyes lit up and she grinned widely at me. "Oh, well would you look at that? Your birthday is coming up in just a few days!"

I forced a tight smile which was all I could manage for this woman who obviously knew no personal boundaries. I grabbed my ID from her and without another word, I pushed my cart away.

"Melanie." I stopped and turned towards the voice that suddenly called out my sister's name.

"Jaxon." I said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm obviously here for a concert." He said rolling his eyes before gesturing to his half-full shopping cart. "I'm grocery shopping. What else would you do in a grocery store?"

I pursed my lips at him and resisted the urge to smile. "I could do without the sarcasm, mister."

He chuckled. "So, your birthday is in a couple of days?"

I stiffened as he mentioned my birthday. "No, why would you think that?"

He looked at me with a blank expression. "Because that lady just read it off of your driver's license."

I bit my lip. I didn't like when people knew when my birthday was because then they always wanted to do something to celebrate it. It had been four years since my parents found the time to be with me on my birthday. It was either, they were busy at the hospital, or they were out of the country.

I sighed and shrugged. "It's on Sunday."

"Sunday?" He questioned. "That's the day after Halloween, so November first?"

I nodded. "Yep."

"How are you celebrating?" He smiled.

"I don't celebrate my birthday." I said truthfully.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Why not?"

I looked around and contemplated telling him the truth. We were standing next to a stand full of muffins, which were apparently very unpopular since no one asked to move so that they could gain access.

"I don't see the point. When I was younger, it was fun I guess, but throwing myself a little pathetic party with cake and people doesn't sound very fun. I'd rather spend the day with my parents but, since I can't, I spend it by myself." The words spilled from my mouth before I could stop them.

Jaxon was silent for a few minutes and I avoiding meeting his eyes. I didn't want to see the pity in them. Whenever someone found out something about my parents there was always pity. I even got the look from my friends and Melanie and I hated it.

When I finally built the courage to look at him, his eyes held only curiosity.

"What is it?" I asked him.

The Swap जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें