Chapter 9 - Control

The hissing voices increase, they chant at me, this all seems too familiar.

Katniss.

They have haunted my thoughts and dreams before, they are the cheering voices that encourage my murderous behavior.

Katniss.

They are thirsty for blood.

Katniss.

Thirsty for her blood.

Katniss.

All they want is death. They are programmed to rip apart limbs and sink their teeth in warm flesh and rip it to pieces.

Katniss.

The chants are a rallying audience desperate for action, hungry for death.

Katniss.

The emotions are coming back, flooding by so fast like the memory itself.

Katniss.

They are ferocious beasts, they haunt my memories even when I've never actually seen them. They're ready to kill. Ready to kill her.

Katniss.

My lips are moving, before I realize it, my voice chants along with them. I'm in some kind of trance, one that took over my slumber. Taking over my mind when it's most vulnerable. The trance is enticing, and it's so easy to just give in to it. My consciousness slowly regains, and fights the trance with abrupt alertness.

Katniss.

Katniss.

My eyes fly open, and I sit straight up,

"Katniss!"

I whip around to see her standing a couple feet away, thankfully not torn into pieces.

"Katniss! Get out of here!"

She just gawks at me,
"Why? What's making that sound?"

"I don't know. Only that it has to kill you. Run! Get out! Go!"

She grips her bowstring tightly, I didn't notice an arrow fastened in there. She looks around at the alerted faces of the rest of the squad.

"Whatever it is, it's after me. It might be a good time to split up."

I need her to leave now, we all need to leave.  I have a feeling that those beasts would tear through as much flesh as they need to in order to catch her, but I don't want her to run around the tunnels in the darkness alone.

The others seem to think so too.

"But we're your guard," states Jackson.

"And you're crew," adds Cressida.

"I'm not leaving you," Gale says.

They quickly arm the camera crew with guns and briefly explain how to use them so they aren't completely defenseless. Finnick gives Castor one out of the two guns he has, Gale and Katniss give theirs to Messalla and Cressida, then they take my gun, load it with a real cartridge, and give it to Pollux. I'm not bothered, I don't trust myself with a real gun either.