Chapter 2

Me and DayDay went privately into the kitchen. "Remember that secret I told you about Roc last year" I said.

"You told me a lot of things about that goofball" she replied

"Yeah, yeah but the one about me liking him" I said

"girl why you so obsessed with him?" DayDay asked.

"I'm not obsessed with Roc, obsessed is like on a stalker type level and that's just not me" I clarified.

"seems like it to me, you always talking about him" she replied.

"actually its just that I like Roc but I don't know if he like me back" I admitted.

"that's kind of tuff, y'all have been best friends since the fifth grade" she practically whined.

"kind of tuff? It is tuff mom" I screamed at her.

"just think about it honey, but I wanted to tell you something very important"

"what is it? are you dying?" I asked concerned.

"No Nedaja I am not dying with your dumb ass" she laughed histerically

"So what is it?" I asked

"It's your mom she called looking for you just last week, and asked could you come and live with her for the rest of your life" she said

"Hell no I am not going with her she tried to sell me for crack when I was just 10 years old, that has scarred me for the rest of my life" I said almost crying.

"Your mom she has changed, she went to rehab, she has a fiance and step son" she said "I refused to give you to her but after today I am reconsidering because with you and ray at the same school you may not ever graduate." She said.

"Okay, okay I'll go but the minute she does something wrong I'm coming back here" I clarified.

"Alright go along make the last of today fun" she said. So I went to the living room

"Everyone lets go outside" I said trying to have some fun but Princeton and Ray Ray was watching trueblood, and prodigy was eating chicken so I know they wasn't going to move no time soon.

"Roc Royal, come outside with me it's a beautiful day today, and we could just chill on the porch, and talk like old times" I said and he agreed.

When we were in middle school Roc and I used to have these talk sessions everyday after school but they kind of slowed down.

"Caramel, Caramel, Caramel , it has been a lil while since we had our talk sessions" Roc said, I just laughed.

"You know how long it's been since you called me caramel, Light Skin?" I said.

"Yeah I know it's been 4 years"

"Yeah" I started to wonder off

"Is something bothering you"

"Well DayDay just told me that my mom called for me a week ago , and she wants me to come live with her fiance and step son, and I don't want to go"

"You don't have to go at all, fuck I need to go so I could tell her a few words or two"

"I do have to go, under the court of law" then Roc looked at me for a while, then he finally decided to talk.

"Nedaja I have been wanting to tell you something ever since we came to high school"

"What is it?" I say confused.

"I have liked you ever since we came to high school, but I didn't know it until you started going out with all of these boys and stuff"

"That's why you beat Aduntrae up our sophomore year" I laughed

"Yeah that's why I beat Aduntrae faggot ass up" he laughed along with me, then our laughter calmed down. "But seriously, Nedaja Jade Jones will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes, I would love to be your girlfriend, light skin!"

"You have to promise me that you would never in your life break my heart"

"I promise"

"That's why I bought this last year" he pulled out an 8 carat diamond ring.

"That cost at least 12,000 dollars, Roc how could you afford this much money?" I asked him.

"I am going to tell you this, but you can't tell nobody else" he started whispering.

"what is it Roc?" I asked concerned.

"I am in a gang" he whispered

"Stop lying, you always joking and shit"

"Remember that scar on my thigh, when I told y'all that I fell and got a long scratch?"

"Yeah, the doctor said that it was permanent" I stated.

"Well I was actually cut with a knife, by a blood" he said.

"So you a crip?" I asked

"Yes nedaja" he answered

"Well I can't accept the ring, being a crip is really dangerous, you can get yourself killed let alone me too" I said scared

"Am I dead? Are you dead?" He asked

"No but" he cut me off by kissing me.

"Then that answers your question, just take the ring Daja" he slid it on my ring finger.