Truth of the Past

Start from the beginning

  "Mr-Master Gracey,", Kaylee corrected herself,"Did you ever recive a letter that night?"  "No, I did not.", he sounded confused. "Then I believe that this is for you.", Kaylee said as she handed him the envelope. He then read the letter with a shocked look on his face. "This can't be true.", he said in a small voice. " Is this some sort of game for you?! Playing with the heart strings of a broken heart? Huh? Do you know how many years I have suffered this repeatitive agony?!", he shouted as he threw the letter carelessly to her feet. Kaylee's rage threated to explode out of her mouth, so she calmed herself. "It was hidden in the attic!! Do you think someone wouldn't have hidden it if they didn't have something to hide?! Constance hid the letter because she didn't want you to find out until.....until, she KILLED you!!", Kaylee was fed up with trying to convince him. "You LIE!!", he now was on his feet towering her with a glare so fierce, it could cut through your soul,"Constance would never do such things or even speak of such things!!" "SHE'S the lier!! Exactly how many days did you know her?!", Kaylee was exploding with rage. "Five!!!", he spewed at her,"Five glorious days of intuitive conversation and friendly advice, and trust!! Which is the very foundation of a realationship, little girl!!" "First of all, I'm NOT a little girl!! Second, you can NOT tell what the motives are of someone you've known for FIVE whole stinkin days!! She was a very good actress. And she played you, for all you're worth.", Kaylee took a moment to breathe,"I'm done with trying to fix problems!! I'm done with this old house!! I'm done with curses! And I'm done with you!! If you can't handle the truth, then that's not my problem!! I'm out of here!!" 

  Kaylee slammed the door behind her and walked angrily to the seonce room. She was so upset, she could not catch her breath, she started hyperventilating, and fell to the floor. It was cold. Very cold. She didn't want to open her eyes at all. She didn't want to think about what she should do next. It took her a while to recooperate. What was happening? She felt weightless, like she was floating in the air. Was someone carrying her? Count on Master Gracey to act gentlemanly, after a big brawl with a stranger. Something told her he was still angry at her for filling his head with 'lies', and yelling at him, because it was so cold, she knew she grown new hair on her legs. She had the urge to itch it, but she felt restrained. Did he chain her up? Seriously? She let out a short breath and slowly opened her eyes. What she saw his peircing eyes looking forward and a frown on his angry, beautiful features. She looked at her hands. They were not bound, but how could she not move? 'It's a ghost thing.', she thought. "Where are we going?", Kaylee asked.  "The attic. I want tangible proof.", he said as he made his way into the door of the attic. Kaylee let out a frustrated breath. The letter wasn't enough proof obviously, and she had underestimated Constance's acting skills to a serious extent. He then set her down and she lead him pass the giant wordrobe, to the horrific red hat box. "What proof are we looking for?", Master Gracey asked in a whisper. 

  "The red hatbox over there.......,", Kaylee struggled to get her words out and didn't want to be reminded of the grotesque, decaying human head in it,"There's a.....there's a.....head....of a man in it." Master Gracey saw a tag that said Henry on it. He then lifted the lid to reveal a dusty old top hat inside. "There's no human head in this.", he said with frustration. Kaylee slowly approched the hat box and breathed out a sigh,"Of course! What you would you expect with a house filled with ghosts!" She threw her hands up in frustration, and then ran over to the trunk that William found the letter in. Expecting the worst, she breathed in a sigh and opened the trunk to reveal a man's dead body in it. She gagged and hid behind a stack of books. "A courpse does not prove your point.", Master Gracey said with a sigh. "Did you love her?", Kaylee whispered from behind the stack of books. "Of course I did! If I didn't I wouldn't have married her!!", he sounded frustrated. "No, I mean, did you love HER. Madame Leota.", Kaylee asked with frustration and exostion. "Madame Leota? We,.........we were very good friends. We did have a fling when we were younger, but we were very young and she ended up pregnant with another man's child. When she lost the baby, she looked for me to comfort her. And I did. We remained friends, and were inseparable, that is until......", he was reluctant to finish the sentence. "Constance.", Kaylee whispered. "Yes.", he whispered, "I never knew of Leota's feelings for me until now." "Ah, so you believe me!", Kaylee said with a smirk.

  "No,", he said with a laugh,"Not until we have more proof." Kaylee sighed in frustration. How much more proof did he need? "Let's look in the library. Maybe there's something there about a guy that she married named Henry.", she said determined to prove a point. "Alright. I will go with you, but if you are not correct about this and there turns out to be no proof, then I shall personally make you our thousandth ghost. "  "A little harsh maybe!", Kaylee nervously said as they walked out to the library. "Hardly. This place has it's goblins, but it's a fine place to live. I can assure you.", he said with a smile. " You'd let me live here? That sounds so sweet, in a twisted sort of way.", Kaylee remarked as they entered the room. They looked through the books on top shelves down to the bottom shelves and found nothing but cool history about the mansion. All different kinds of people lived here from different countries. At one point in time, the Gracey family considered turning their large estate into a hotel since there were more than enough rooms for different guests. Kaylee found herself imoresed in the history of the mansion that she forgot what she was doing.

  Where would she have put it? There was a stone bust of a man that was on the giant desk in thw middle of the library. For some reason, she was drawn to it. "What is this?", Kaylee said as she touched the head. All of the sudden a secret door opened. Kaylee ran over to the secret door,"Cool a secret passigeway!!" She then walked down the hall to a huge cherry wooden box on a table. She opened it to find love letters, dead roses, foul smelling perfume, and a bunch of paper bound up with human hair!! So scared to touch it, she screamed for Master Gracey to come and remove the hair for her to see what the paper had written on it. Master Gracey was discussted with the foul stench of the perfume, he held the paper at arms length and removed the human hair from the papers. "This perfum smells like death itself!", he retorted.

  Kaylee agreed and quickly closed the giant cherrywood box. She scanned all the papers for the name Henry, and found a Henry Ravenscroft. And the last will and testiment. She also found eight other men and their last will and testiments and every single one's fourtune was turned over to Constance. " Now do you believe us?", Kaylee said smugly. "Us?", Master Gracey looked confused. "Well, you didn't just not believe me when I showed you that letter. You didn't believe Madame Leota as well, and she loved you truely.", Kaylee said. "I guess I sort of knew all this time.....", he struggled to say. "That she loved you. Yeah kind of hard to believe that she put up with a stuborn man like you.", Kaylee laughed. "So now what? Now that I know the truth, what do we do?", Master Gracey mused. "Well, I don't know. I haven't thought about what might happen when you found out the truth and believed me....We should see how SHE feels about your appology.", Kaylee said as she began to walk out of the room. "I......I don't know if I'm ready.", Master Gracey said nervously. "Oh come on!", Kaylee pulled him out of the room.