Chapter 1: The town of anglers and worms

Start from the beginning

Finally the man shut up, and to Lucius' greater fortune he also stopped in his track, successfully causing him to disappear from view.

Lucius finally regained his genuine smile, this one of a content kind, and he inhaled a deep breath as if fresh air had forsaken him for as long as Whitbrow had been near. It would be a short lived relief, he was sure, but he'd enjoy his victory for just one moment.

Then Bahman cleared his throat to demand attention, and the moment was over.

"Lady Cromwell..." His voice was slow and careful, both to Lucius' pleasure and disdain. It was no doubt intended to sound submissive, but he had no problem discerning hints of the tone one used to reason with an angry child.

In conclusion, Bahman was disappointed.

Again.

"They keep trying my patience." Lucius didn't look at his conversation partner, instead letting his eyes be drawn to a nearby alley where a mangy cat was playing death-tag with a rat. "I promise you I'm doing the best I can."

"Yes, that's..." Bahman cleared his throat. "... I, um... I wish, for your sake, I could say these incidents are rare, but I'm obliged to tell you they're, well... Not."

Lucius' nose scrunched up as the rat was thrown up into the air for a second time.

"Oh, I know that." He had no doubts. He was well acquainted with the rich vultures of South Kerilia and their ridiculous demands. "Just one of many things that need to change I suppose."

Bahman's brief silence indicated another scolding was imminent.

"Lady Cromwell, while I do understand you have some kind of fondness for the, uh... Less fortunate kind of people..." He pursed his lips as Lucius wrinkled his eyebrows, eyes finally tearing away from the horrible scene. "... But we as the town council have always prioritised preserving those already well off, allowing them to thrive. Should Whitbrow have claimed that building his business would have grown, and the street would have improved, which would mean The Entrails would have shrunk."

"And once Miss Duval's family is not starving or freezing to death we will have more workers, meaning they will provide for themselves as well as allowing the area around them to prosper." Lucius was growing tired but tried to keep up a pleasant facade. "Meaning The Entrails will shrink, and people will not be dying in the streets."

"Yes, well..." Bahman grimaced, and was likely searching for more arguments that Lucius could shoot down. "... People surviving is good and all, but Miss Duval's family will not be able to provide as much for the town as those who've already established their business can."

"I mean no disrespect, Bahman, but I believe the town could stand to extend some wealth for the sake of its inhabitants' survival." Lucius spoke through his teeth at this point. He really had no interest in having this conversation again. Him being in charge didn't seem to matter, or that he had reasonable arguments. No one listened to him. What was his position even meant for if his decisions kept being disregarded?

"It's just... Not the approach we have taken before." Bahman smiled through an awkward grimace and scratched his whitening hair. "And I am most certain that if you—Uh, we keep that up the upper class will have a lot to say on the matter. No doubt you're aware of the impact that could have on the town, not to mention us?"

Lucius reluctantly nodded, the corner of his mouth twitching. He didn't want to adventure his position just because of some disgruntled snobs, but he'd make no changes in the town if he obeyed their every order.

They walked in silence the rest of the way to the town hall, and Lucius braced himself as he walked into the council chamber. He'd be surprised if anything said to him within the following hour failed to annoy him.