Chapter 1: The town of anglers and worms

Start from the beginning

Lucius lowered his gaze to the ground. It gave a rather good hint at where in South Kerilia the place was located. It wasn't as dry or clean as the streets further northwest of town, but the cobblestones were in good condition and not nearly as caked with grime as their poor counterparts in The Entrails. The street was bordering on the latter area, but it hadn't fallen into poverty just yet and was optimal even for wealthier occupations as fanciness wasn't necessary and living conditions were cheap.

Wealthy people had no need for that however. Not as much as those trying to escape The Entrails to have even the slightest chance at getting their life together.

As if they care.

"Surely you've at least heard of their kind, Lady Cromwell," Whitbrow continued, and Lucius fought back the urge to send the man a scalding glare. He knew what kind of speech was coming and he'd never be in a mood good enough to handle it well. "Scum clawing their way from that place will dirty the streets both through reputation and their criminal ways."

"I think you're getting ahead of yourself, Mr. Whitbrow." Lucius tried to smile as genuinely as he could manage. "Accusing people of crimes based on where they live does not seem very fair."

"It's well known that most crimes happening in this town happen in The Entrails." Whitbrow turned his chin up, much to Lucius discontent. "I believe that makes a good reason for my suspicions, or what would you say, my Lady?"

Lucius had a lot to say. Such as the reason people were even living in such a horrid area in the first place, why many of them had nowhere to turn but to crime, or why people only chose to acknowledge crimes in town when they happened there. To sum it up in short however, he could pin it on one reason and one source, and it was not The Entrails.

Just as he opened his mouth however Bahman Featherstone, a member of the town's council and the one person Lucius found at least slightly reasonable among them, appeared at his side with a look suggesting he close it again.

What a lousy system.

When he'd led the Shallow Reapers he never had to deal with these things. True enough, he had cared about the group and would not have them too upset on a personal level, but when it came to business no one would ever argue with him like Whitbrow did or give him looks as if they knew better. What Lucius said was done, and things were good that way. Simple and convenient. Good people were good people and trash was trash, no matter what social class life had handed them.

"Suspicions or not, I've announced my decision," Lucius said instead, deciding to end the conversation before his temper betrayed him and let the actual Lucius Cromwell take charge. "Disappointing as you may find it, it's not in your favour, but the place is theirs now. Officially."

"That's not true!" Whitbrow paused for a second, realising his tone had been unfit for the person he was addressing, and he cleared his throat. "They don't have the money to buy it, and they don't have any records of them legally owning the place. That means they don't have the right to live there!"

Such blatant disrespect, Lucius' mother would have slapped the man for his language alone. Of course, she wouldn't have objected to his ideas, but the mere lack of etiquette was disgraceful.

"Mr. Whitbrow—"

"So unless they can provide those documents, I should be free to buy it, shouldn't I?" Whitbrow's expression changed into that triumphant, malicious smile Lucius hated so much. "And I assure you, you'll find no such paper."

Lucius balled his fists, keeping his urge to stab the man from welling up and instead produced a horribly forced smile.

"And I assure you, Mr. Whitbrow, that with the aid of a quill and some ink, I most certainly will."