Chapter 5

Two months passed by in a blur with her fully recovered she insisted on starting her job and the IT team had welcomed her with open arms. A knock on her door caught her attention only to find her boss, Daniel holding a bag.

"I hope you don't mind but I brought you some lunch," he said with a grin.
"Thank you," she replied with a smile happy to not have to go out.
"Would you like to sort of like hang out tomorrow."
"Yeah sure no problem at all," she said peeking into the bag to see what was in it.
"We can meet up at the park then were we go from there. Is that fine by you?"
"Perfect," he responded.

Having not heard from Chris all this while she knew it was only a matter of time before he reappeared in her life. Walter came in to fetch her before she realized what the time was.

"Good evening Mel."
"Mr Shields good evening. How was your day?"
"Very productive and yours," he said pulling her closer to him so she could relax.
"Tiring. My boss's boss is a very demanding man," she said with a toothy smile.
"I'll have a word with him," he chuckled making her laugh.
"That would be awesome," she sighed falling asleep.

----

The following morning she woke up feeling very excited. Settling onto a chair in the living room, Lincoln walked in and sat beside her.
"You look like you are going out. Is my assumption correct?"
"Oh yes, I forgot to mention this but Daniel from IT invited me for an outing."
"Hmm," was his reply as he stared at her.

Lincoln's POV

The past two months have been heaven on earth. Coming back home to a cooked meal which I can enjoy with others and now coming back home with her beside me have been the best moments. Dinner with her and Zach has never been a dull moment. I find myself smiling more, heck even laughing which surprised even Walter.

Getting up she left after asking me to look after Zach which I was more than happy to do.

By 3 p.m. I was becoming agitated. What where they up to? Hearing laughter at the entrance I looked down the staircase to see her walk in with Danny all the tension leaving my body.

Walking into the lounge I smirked when I saw the boy jump up from his seat greeting me.
Ignoring him I bent down to kiss Mel's forehead while Daniel remained on his feet like the good boy he is.

"Si....sir. Good afternoon."

Sitting down beside Mel I felt her elbow stab my side as she looked at me with a glare.
"Fine," I mumbled under my breath so only she could hear. "Good afternoon Daniel," I said giving him a blank stare.

"How was your day?" I turned towards Mel taking her hand into mine.
"It was fantastic. I had a great time," she said smiling towards Daniel then me as she tried to release her hand from mine.
"Good to hear that," I responded just as a maid brought in some snacks for us.

"And yours?" She asked before taking a bite of the slice of fruit I offered to her.
Enjoying the rest of the apple slice I smiled at her loving the glow in her brown eyes.

Leaning back into the seat I looked up to see Daniel staring at our hands with a confused expression. She had finally given up on freeing her hand from mine.
"Our day was superb, the play room is really handy when entertaining a three year old."

"Speaking of three year olds, where is my son?"
"Fast asleep," I said with a coy smile.
"Well just know you are staying up with him if he stays asleep for much longer," she said with a stern look.
"Yes mam," I said turning back towards Danny boy who now had a frown on his face.

"So Daniel how is work?"
"Um work is great sir. I think I should be leaving I have seen Melinda safely home."
"Why, so soon?" I stated pulling Mel onto her feet wrapping my arm around her waist as she tried her best to free herself from my grip.
"I have a busy day at work tomorrow."
"Tomorrow? But tomorrow's Sunday," I said trying to hide my smirk as we saw him off.
"I have some files I need to go through."
"Fantastic to hear you put so much effort into your work."
"Yes sir. Thank you for your hospitality. Goodbye Melinda," he said smiling at her nervously.
"Goodbye Daniel," she said softly.
As soon as the door closed I mumbled, "Good riddance."

"Ouch. What was that for?"
"You know," she said turning to walk away from me swaying her hips seductively in her skinny jeans as I rubbed my poor arm.

"Mel, I'm sorry."
"You did that on purpose. You just had to act possessive over me in front of the first guy who has asked me out since my divorce" she fumed.

All he did was look at her with a smile plastered on his face.
"Wipe that smile off your face Lincoln Shields or I will never speak with you ever again," she fumed crossing her hands over her ample bosom.
"Forgive me Mel, but well you did let me feed you in front of him, so it's not entirely my fault.
"My appetite has no bounds, you know that very well, but you just had to keep touching me until he left, didn't you?" She scoffed as she went up to her room leaving him staring after her.

Dinner was suffocating as she was still mad at him about earlier.
"Mel," he whispered putting his cutlery down.
She continued to stare into her plate, stabbing at her food. Sighing in frustration she got up and left the table.

--------

"Why is mommy mad?" Zach asked the next morning when Mel refused to use the same car as mine opting to let them leave first and use another car.
For a child he was pretty observant and Lincoln had to commend Mel for raising a bright kid.
"I did something bad yesterday."
"Chocolates always make her happy when she is mad."
"Hmmm, thank you very much Zach. Now off to school, I will see you in the afternoon," he said as the door was opened.