Chapter 3

"Your house is beautiful," she murmured as they slowly made their way through the front door.
"Wow," Zach shouted taking in his surroundings.
"Thank you," he stated in a bored tone, taking her arm forgetting about her wounds only for her to wince out in pain having forgotten how strong he was.

"I am sorry Mel," he said with worry etched in his voice. "Should I call a doctor? I'm calling a doctor," he answered his own question taking out his phone.
"I am alright Linc. Now please tell me why we are here? I need to start looking for accommodation and work to support my son and I."

Shaking his head he said, "You will be staying here for as long as you need to. As for work there is a position open in my company, if you want it, the job is yours."
"Why are you doing this for me?" She asked putting some distance between them.
"Because you are a good person and deserve my help. You were my only true friend back at the orphanage, now it's time I repay that favour.

"Thank you," she said with tears pouring out of her eyes, surprising him with a hug.
"Thank you," Zach said hugging his legs.

She felt him relax into her hug as his large hands wrapped around her. The scent of his cologne mixed with his own scent invaded her nostrils making her sigh in content as she listened to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat.

-------

Getting dressed in a business suit he left his room heading towards the kitchen only to find her feeding Zach some cereal.
"Good morning Mel, Zach," he said respectively looking at each of them.
"Good morning," they both chirped.

"I hope you don't mind me invading your kitchen" she said with a shy smile.

When was the last time I saw such genuine emotion? He wondered to himself.
"It's no problem at all. If you need anything feel free to tell Walter or anyone of the staff members. The chef should be coming in soon so don't worry about cooking."

"Come with me," he said holding out his hand to her.
Taking it he led her to the lounge were a small army of workers stood to attention.
"This is my house staff, they will take care of you. Anything you want tell them, each of them handpicked so do not worry about your safety," he said introducing the gardeners, maids and kitchen staff as well as the security.

Pulling out his phone he called in Walter who handed over a package in exchange for his briefcase.
"Here is your medication. Walter will be at your disposal today," he said kissing her forehead.
She stood in shock looking at him as he made his way towards the entrance.

"Wait aren't you having breakfast?"
"No thank you," he called out.

"Miss is there anything you will be needing for the day?" Walter asked politely as soon a Lincoln left the room.
"I need to get this young man to school if that is not a bother."
"Very well ma'am, I will get the car ready," he said as he noticed that the others had already left the room.

------

"I will come back to fetch you this afternoon baby," she whispered as Zach jumped out of the car.
"Where to ma'am?"
"Let's go back... home," she said feeling weird calling another place home.

Taking some time to rest she relaxed and woke up to prepare lunch.

"You shouldn't have done this ma'am," Walter said nervously as she handed him a plate.
"It's the least I could do," she said with a smile looking at Andre the chef who was praising her culinary skills.
"Does Mr Shields go for lunch?"
"Well um, he is a very busy man."
"But he didn't have any breakfast."
"He survives mostly on coffee."
"That's very surprising considering how large the man is," she thought out loud.
"He takes care of himself mam, you shouldn't worry yourself."