18| Rochester

The shower took longer than it should have although I'm not complaining. After successfully completing round five I got dressed in a fresh pair of his boxers and gray t-shirt. I don't know what it is about men's clothing feeling so much softer, but I loved it. Not to mention his shirt smelled like the familiar scent of spice and honey that lingers around him.

I was on his couch reading one of his old research papers while he was in the kitchen making lunch for us, no longer dressed in a trash bag. He assured me that he was a good chef and no harm would come to my taste buds. About halfway into the paper he plopped down next to me presenting a paper plate with a tomato and grilled cheese sandwich on it. I had to admit, it looked really tasty.

"What would you like to drink?" he asked.

"Just water would be fine, thank you," I said turning back to Jasper's paper. It was very interesting and made my mind spin around different ideas I never thought about before. To anybody else it would be dry and boring, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea how smart this man really was until reading his paper.

I thought back to the first day when I questioned his ability to teach and looking at it now, I guess he really did know what he was doing. That and Ms. Harrington had a thing for him, although I'm almost positive that died out last night. I didn't know the extent of their relationship but I didn't want to know either. The past is the past.

He returned with a glass of water and I took it thanking him. I still didn't tear my eyes from his paper when he spoke up, "You know you're going to have to put that down at some point to eat."

"I know. It's just very good work. I have never thought about Jane Eyre in such a way before."

He raised an eyebrow. "Don't tell me you actually thought it was a romance."

I gave him a sheepish smile. "At first, yes. I actually had a crush on Mr. Rochester when I was younger."

He scoffed rolling his eyes. "Finally I see a flaw in you."

"I said I had a crush on him when I was younger," I reaffirmed. "Not now."

"Only because you read my paper."

I pressed my lips into a hard line. "It's difficult changing my view about a character I feel very passionate about."

He exhaled loudly. "It seems I have been replaced by a fictional emotionally abusive male lead in a sappy romance novel. I always knew this would be my downfall."

I hit his arm playfully. "Oh hush it! I didn't say that I wanted Rochester now."

"But if he were here, in this room, alive and real, would you want him?"

It took me a long time to think about my answer, too long, when Jasper suddenly pulled me onto his lap making my head spin.

"Just so you know," his voice lowered an octave as he ran his hands down my side, "I don't do well with competition."

My heart fluttered in my chest at the feel of his warm hands on my body. I really wanted to finish reading his work, but I wouldn't mind other things.

"I sort of guessed that last night when you punched a certain someone," I snickered.

"Mmm, that was out of protection," he ran his nose along my neck making my breath hitch. "However, I would do the same to Rochester if he were here," he kissed my shoulder softly. "You really should change your mind about him."

"If y-you let me read this I might change my mind."

"You should change your mind," he leaned back to look at me. "Rochester locks his ex-wife in the attic for years while trying to sleep around with another woman and you don't see a problem with this?"

Forbidden LiteratureOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara