"Ah, man, I'm not supposed to do this." he croaked, but unlocked the door.

"You know how to work everything. The spare key's in the back, lock up after you and return it on Monday." and with that, he was gone.

"Friendly." Lola said, evidently catching up with me.

"My wonderful boss." I scoffed, pushing open the door for her. "After you."
She walked in, and I switched the lights back on and followed her.

"This is cute." she turned around and took in the cafe. Okay, it was a bit cute I have to admit. The walls were brick except for the back wall, which was black with white patterns printed on it.
"Almost like being back in the gallery." I laughed, walking over to the coffee machines.

"What can I get you?" I asked, like she was a customer.

"Hmmm..." she thought for a moment.

"Surprise me."

"Oh I will." I winked, switching on machines.

"Caramel latte cooler." I put it down on the table front of her, along with my own espresso over ice

"Can I have whipped cream with that?" She asked.

"Only for you," I sighed, and got up again to add it on.

"Thank you!" She lunged forward and grabbed the drink, squeezing it too hard and leaking whipped cream all over my finger.
"Whoops!" She laughed.

I licked the whipped cream off and laughed too.

We drunk our coffee quietly, watching the people in the street outside walking past.
Lola broke the silence.

"I know it's only a gallery and coffee, but..." she hesitated. "I've had fun, Brooklyn."

I liked it when she said my name. It sent a shiver down my spine and I wanted her to say it again. It made me like my name.

"Good." I replied quietly.

"That's all I, um, wanted to say." she giggled nervously.

"Thank you." I said, and took a big gulp of coffee, finishing it. Lola had already finished.
I threw our plastic cups in the bin, turned the lights out, and locked the coffee shop with the spare key while Lola stood next to me, rubbing her hands together in the cold.

"Come on, its ten past ten, we should get back." I said, starting to walk back. We walked quite fast against the cold, and again, I had the chilling feeling they were here. They always came.

A police car drove past, its sirens loud, making Lola and I jump. I don't know why, but I had the urge to pull her closer.
Come on Brooklyn, you can do this.

I walked sideways, a bit closer to her, and reached out my arm, wrapping it around her waist. She looked surprised, but pleased, and settled her head into my shoulder, which made it difficult to walk fast, but I liked it.

We reached the road where the hotel was, and I could see the homely golden lights of the Mayfair. Outside it was a group of people. My heart jumped into my lungs and began beating faster.

"Take my jacket off." I hissed at Lola.

"Why? What?" She said, stopping suddenly, looking up at me worriedly.

"Just - do it!" I said, raising my voice slightly.

"Fine." she grumbled, pulling her arms out of the sleeves and muttering under her breath, things I couldn't make out.

We started walking again, and I heard a yell ahead of us.

They were here. They always turned up. And ruined everything.

There was a moment, a moment in which a wave of protectiveness swept over me, and I took Lola's hand in mine, my other hand holding my jacket.
And then, suddenly, they swarmed on us.

"Brooklyn!"

"Who is she, Brooklyn?"

"Is she your girlfriend?"

"Where did you go Brooklyn?"

The sounds of their brash voices yelling my name made it sound horrible, and the flashing lights and being barged about made my head spin. If that was how it made me feel, I couldn't imagine how Lola was feeling.

I turned round to her, and luckily she seemed to know what to do. She had her hair down, her messy hair falling over her face, and she walked as quickly as she could. I could tell her breathing was faster than usual, as the voices and flashes surrounded us.

"Yeah, thanks guys, we really need to get inside." I said bravely as they were blocking the door with their humongous cameras and big wrestler bodies.

"Brooklyn give us a smile!"

"Brooklyn, over here!"

I had no choice but to push them out of the way, and the doorman opened the door for Lola and I, closing it quickly before any of them could get in.

We fell inside, her cold hand shaking inside mine.
Neither of us said anything to the other as we walked into the lobby. When we were out of sight of the paparazzi, I turned her around to face me, so our faces were inches apart.

"You okay?" I asked.
She nodded shakily, not saying anything, still looking away. I put my hand up and stroked her back. She looked up, her eyes on mine, and I was surprised to see they were glossy, and she looked like she was going to cry.

I pulled her close, in a tight hug, and she put her small arms around my waist too.

"What do you think you're doing?" A voice said, and I spun round, breaking out of the hug, to see Dad standing there with his arms folded, and his face hard.

Hey guys! I think this is probably the longest chapter I've ever written! Thank you for commenting, I've now written this in Brooklyn's perspective. This was such a fun chapter to write, but there's more good chapters coming up! Stay tuned for more!
If you're enjoying this you'll enjoy Runaway as well, although there's only three chapters up at the moment but I'm working on that!

The song lyrics at the top will be featured in several chapters, but only from that song, as I named my book after it.
Thanks for reading! Vote if you enjoyed this, follow me for more, and comment what you want/think is going to happen!

Xx
Fluuctuate