Chapter 3: (L)

'Woah. This hotel is huge.' was the first thing I thought when the car rounded the corner and I got a full view of the famous Mayfair London Hotel.

Mum turned around from the passenger seat, where she was sitting next to the taxi driver, and grinned at me, a twinkle in her eye.

"I know," She said, breathlessly. "Isn't it beautiful?"

It was a tall, wide building on a gorgeous busy street, with doormen, flags and majestic windows. It looked magnificent.

I stepped carefully out of the car to make sure I didn't ruin my best smart white jeans by stepping in a puddle.

"Sally!" Mum tottered over to her sister in her heeled boots, arms outstretched and hugged her. I followed Mum cautiously. It had been a long time since I'd seen Mum's sister.

Aunt Sally broke away from Mum, and turned to me. It was only then that I could appreciate the sheer size of her. Compared to Mum's slight figure, she was towering but also wide.

"And Lola! Haven't you grown! Last time I saw you you were that high!" She gestured with her hand somewhere around my waist. "But you look beautiful!" She leaned over and hugged me too, her long blonde curls getting all in my mouth. I coughed discreetly and she pulled away.

"Come on," she said excitedly, "let's get inside, it looks like it's going to rain." She looked up at the gloomy grey sky, and she was right, there was definitely a storm brewing there. "Wait 'til you see the rest of the hotel!" She clapped her hands and scuttled in through the gold handled glass doors.

Mum gave me a look that said 'she's crazy huh?' but followed her inside anyway, Mum lugging both our suitcases and thanking the doorman.
As we stepped inside, all I could think was 'Wow'.

Chandeliers arched over elaborately decorated entrances, and nearly everything was gold and ivory.

We checked in, Mum and Aunt Sally staying on the ground floor because they needed to work, and me getting a whole suite to myself! I suppose Mum wanted to compensate for making me come in the first place. Also, benefits of fashion week, hotel offers!

The hotel porter strolled over to us, with a jolly face, and spoke in an Italian accent. "Hello Ladies! Here for the fashion week?"

"Yes, they are." said Aunt Sally, without even looking at him, sending another email on her phone.

"Excellente!" he cried, loading our cases onto a golden trolley, "Enjoy your stay at the fabulous Mayfair London Hotel!"

I pressed the button for the elevator, and as I did, the one next to us opened, and a cluster of people came out of it.

"Oooh! That's my client!" exclaimed Aunt Sally, "I really should go say hi."
She tottered through the group of people, saying 'excuse me, excuse me', until an elderly couple moved apart towards the entrance to reveal...

"Victoria! How are you? Good to see you, and all the family!" I heard Aunt Sally saying.

It was the Beckham family.

I stood back nervously, horribly starstruck. There they all were, coming down for dinner like any other normal family. Victoria and David (I couldn't decide who was prettier!) chatting away to Aunt Sally, Romeo and Cruz play fighting, and Brooklyn holding Harper and talking to her about her shoes.

I sighed. Brooklyn Beckham, every girl's dream. He was completely oblivious to everyone else, playing with Harper's shoes with his long fingers and smiling as she laughed.

"...Lola?" I suddenly heard my name, and shot back to earth.

"Sorry what?" I said, completely lost.

Aunt Sally laughed a tinkling laugh.
"I said, 'come over here will you, Lola?' I want to introduce you."

I walked tentatively over to them, discreetly trying to improve my hair from the wind.

"Hi, Lola, is it? Victoria Beckham, my designs will be showcasing tomorrow." Victoria, THE Victoria Beckham put out her hand for me to shake. I took and it shook it for way longer than a normal time to shake someone's hand for.
Her husband did the same.
"David Beckham." He introduced himself. I smiled at the family awkwardly.

"And the kids," Victoria pointed at each one as she named them for me, although I already knew who they were, I mean, who doesn't?

"Cruz, Romeo, Harper and Brooklyn."
Cruz and Romeo looked up, then looked back down again and started pretending to punch each other on the arm. Harper waved from Brooklyn's arms, and said "Hello!" in a cute little voice.

Brooklyn seemed more mature than his brothers. He stepped forward, taking a hand off Harper to shake mine.
"Brooklyn, nice to meet you Lola." he smiled, his eyes twinkling as I took his hand.

'Okay Lola, play it cool, I thought to myself. Cool cool like an ice queen.'
I took his hand a shook it gently.

"No," I said softly, "The pleasures are all mine." I let go of his hand, him still looking determinedly into my eyes.
I looked away, and zoned out as Aunt Sally said goodbye to The Beckhams.

"See you tomorrow!" she announced, following Mum and me into the elevator, along with oursuitcases and the Italian porter.

"They really seem to like you, Lola!" said Aunt Sally as we rose to the second floor.

"Especially that Brooklyn!" Mum almost shouted with excitement from seeing her celeb crush, David Beckham in the flesh.

"Really?" I laughed, trying to sound casual.

Her words kept going round in my head when I got to my suite and unpacked. Dress to impress, I thought as I selected my outfit for tomorrow, the first day of fashion week. And I knew exactly who I wanted to be impressing. But not in my white jeans and a t-shirt.