Chapter 11: (L)

The air in the lift was intense as it sank to the ground floor. It was silent except for the sound of both Brooklyn and I's breathing. I wanted to say something, but I wasn't sure what. I think Brooklyn seemed to be feeling the same as he was chewing his lip, as though searching his mouth for the words.
With a ding, the lift reached the bottom floor. Brooklyn looked at me and jerked his head in an 'after you' kind of way. I gave him a small smile and stepped out. It was weird, him telling my the truth about what he thought about me, and me doing the same for him.

The lobby was fairly busy, people were milling about and chatting, all of them dressed up for the after party.
A smiling David Beckham came strolling towards us, Harper holding his hand and plodding along next to him.
"Ahh, Brooklyn, your hair took a while." he chuckled. "Hi, Lola, had a good day?" he asked enquiringly.

"Yeah, it's been amazing." I grinned.

"Shall we, then?" He gestured towards the door of the Grand Ballroom. Harper detached herself from her Dad and clambered over to Brooklyn.

"Come here, cutie." he picked her up and she giggled. The four of us started walking towards the Grand Ballroom.
I felt my phone vibrate in my clutch bag. Opening the bag and unlocking my phone, I see it's from Mum.

I'm working the after party. See you there. Love you, Mum. X

Ok, so mum was working here. Maybe Aunt Sally would show her the pictures of me. After all, Aunt Sally said she would meet me here too.
Harper climbed down from Brooklyn and charged back to David, who disappeared into the people, and looked for Victoria.
We walked inside a huge ballroom to slow jazz piano music playing, and fancy dressed waiters and waitresses handing out glasses of free champagne. On being offered one at the doors, I took one out of politeness, having never drunk champagne in my life. Brooklyn raised his eyebrows, but then did the same.
We walked around together, neither or us saying a word (again, I know). I took a sip of champagne because I had nothing to do, and on expecting a bitter taste, my tongue was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps it was because it was expensive champagne, but I was actually liking the taste of this.
There were round tables, like at a wedding, but most of them were fairly empty. I spotted Romeo and Cruz sitting at one, playing a game on their iPad. Brooklyn made towards them, so I decided to hunt out Mum and Aunt Sally.
After several minutes, I saw them, Mum still in her business suit, looking at something on Aunt Sally's phone. Aunt Sally was wearing one of her new jumpers, a mustard one which she had teamed with a tight denim skirt and black knee high boots. It sounds odd, but as always, she looked fab.
"Lola!" Mum exclaimed. "Sally was just showing me the modelling you did this morning. Great work darling." she kissed my cheek gently.
"Hi Mum." I said, almost expressionless, for some reason. "How's the managing going?"

"It's great!" She said, jumping at the opportunity to talk about work. "The fashion week organiser says if I keep up the good work, they might hire my company for another event."
"Hopefully one where you can spend time with your family." Aunt Sally said under her breath.
I went to laugh then realised it wasn't funny. Mum either didn't hear or pretended not to.
"Actually, where is the organiser? I just have to introduce you." her eyes scanned the people mingling, until they stopped on a group of people near the other side of the ballroom.
"There he is, come on." she gripped my arm and steered me to them.
"Excuse me." she interrupted as politely as she could. The woman talking turned round and I saw it was Victoria. Her and David were chatting to two men. The first man was tall, and bald with glasses and a hard face. The second man was shorter, and mixed race with short curly dark hair, also wearing glasses, though his were thick framed and bigger.
"Lola!" Victoria exclaimed, grabbing my shoulders and kissing me on each cheek. "I was hoping I'd bump into you this evening!" Her gaze fell to Mum. "And your Mum, hi!" She smiled a teethy smile at Mum.
"Suzanne." The taller man nodded at Mum, his voice deep and dull.
"Hello, Mr McAdeline!" Mum nodded back, professionally, though I could tell from her voice she is excited to introduce us. "Lola, this is my client, the Fashion Week organiser, Oliver McAdeline." Mum gestured at the bald man. He smiled at me, but it was emotionless.