Prologue: The Flashback

A/N: Hey! First story we ever wrote together! Even if each person is writing their own chapter... But we edit together (like 5 fricking times.....(>_<") ) lol. So we hope you enjoy! By the way, when Taylor was demonstrating the catching fish thing, we actually did that by accident yesterday! That is actually what inspired us to write this story even if the story will be a lot different afterwards...

FAN!!

COMMENT!!

and don't even think of forgetting to...

VOTE!!!!

The Black Roses

Prologue: Flash Back

"Oh my god!! I caught another one!" nine-year-old Deamon Phlecher screeched. "Come here! And bring the bottle! Make sure you don't let this one slip Taylor." She glared at Taylor Vaiga while saying it.

Nine-year-old Taylor rushed towards her best friend.

"Yes! Wow, this is like your eighth one!" she congratulated Deamon. "Bro! Come with the bottle!" she called out to her step-brother.

Fourteen year old Zachary Maine scurried to their sides with the plastic bottle. Deamon cupped her small hands around the snout of the bottle and carefully tipped her hand towards the snout. The small minnow squirmed in her hands, then landed inside the bottle.

"Water! We need water!!" Taylor screamed hysterically while flailing her arms.

"Calm down sis, we are right beside you. And I'll get the water." Zachary bent down and filled a green Tic Tac box with sea water and dumped it inside the bottle. "There. All better. Take a chill pill." He grinned, teasing his little sister like always.

They were at a beach in California. It was a family tradition to go to the beach each summer for vacation. Sadly, this was the last time they would be coming here. The two families were moving to two different states in the U.S. Deamon and Taylor had known each other since preschool, and for eight years straight, they had been best friends. They were going to miss each other a lot, however, they decided to enjoy the time right now.

"Ok, what should we name him?" Deamon asked thoughtfully. "How about George?" Taylor knitted her eyebrows together.

"Where did you get that idea?" she questioned.

Deamon shrugged. "First thing that popped in my head." Taylor shrugged too.

They continued trying to catch little minnows, while Zachary sat on a huge bumpy rock close by watching them and helping to look for the fish (obviously not being that helpful). Mrs. Maine and Mrs. Phlecher were out on a walk around the sidelines of the beach and their fathers were fishing.

After a while attempting to catch fish, but failing, Taylor began to speak up.

"Deamon your doing it wrong!"

"Says the person who didn't catch anything," Deamon countered playfully. Taylor waved Deamon off.

"You are supposed to do it quickly and quietly. Like this," Taylor demonstrated. They both knew Taylor was going to fail at catching one, but surprisingly, when Taylor brought her hand up to show Deamon her unsuccessful catch, there it was. A small minnow swimming around in her hand. "Oh my god! I caught one! I actually caught one!" Taylor squealed.

"Ohmigosh! You actually did! Good job bud, now let's put it in the bottle with George,"exclaimed Deamon. Taylor nodded in agreement.

"Zac!" she yelled. "We need the bottle! Hurry up!" she said, stretching the "need" out.

"Coming!"

After a bit, the kids stopped to take a break.

The two families enjoyed a picnic dinner together afterwards. Chatting cheerfully about things. As if nothing was wrong. Like that wasn't the last time they'd see each other. The two girls sat silently on the red and green plaid blanket, eating their food without the usual chitchat. After dinner, it was almost time to leave. Both the girls tried not to cry. Taylor got up and walked away from the picnic where the parents were clearing everything up. As if it wasn't the last time she'll ever see her best friend, EVER. Deamon, too, stands up and slowly made her way to Taylor. Deamon looked into her eyes, which she called "the hazel gems", and Taylor looked back at her, hoping the moment could last forever.

Nothing was said, though they wandered together one last time to the California beach. They sat down on a large smooth flat rock, they looked out to the stunning ocean with the sun just peeking above the horizon, and tried to take in all that they were going to leave behind.

Suddenly, Taylor gasped for air, soon followed by crying and weeping. They were like half of each others world.

"Hi," Deamon said through Taylor's sobs.

"Why do you say that?" Taylor asked, gasping for air each time after a word escaped her lips.

"It's much easier then good-bye," Deamon explained matter-of-factly. Taylor nodded and wiped her tears away with her sleeve.

"Time to leave girls!" their parents suddenly called. Deamon and Taylor obediently hopped off the rock and walked towards their parents.

On the way to their cars, Deamon spotted something large. A shell. Secretly, she picked it up and wiped it clean with her t-shirt, leaving a brown spot on the completely black shirt. The shell was almost as large as her hand. She hid it behind her back and followed Taylor.

Before they got to their cars, Deamon stepped towards Taylor and handed her the beautiful shell.

"Remember me," Deamon whispered.

A minute later, they headed their separate ways. To different airports, on different planes, and to different places.

"Good-bye," both girls whispered in their minds on their planes at the same time.