Chapter 20: If I Ain't Got You

*Lexi's pov

"Damn it!" Crash. I jumped up startled. Adam was gone. I stretched and slipped on my panties and Adam's shirt before going downstairs and into the kitchen. "Adam?" I asked as I leaned against the door way. "Lexi!" He jumped. I giggled watching him. "Babe what happened?" I asked a smiled firmly planted on my lips. "I uh," he said softly looking at me. I walk over to him, my hand on shoulder. "Baby?" I asked getting worried. "Have you even slept?" I asked touching his cheek lightly. He shook his head, "how are you so okay?" He asked and suddenly I knew what was wrong. I kissed him and took his hand pulling him to the couch. "I'm not okay Adam. But honestly babe, I've been there, I know how it feels to be in his position. The fact he even told me is the biggest step ever. As scared as I am for him, he knows he told in time and its not that bad. I know that sounds stupid because it is that bad, but if we make it into something much bigger he'll never talk about it. It's the worst thing in the world but he needs to make this choice not us. He needs to want help, otherwise it won't matter" I said as he held me close.

"I'm scared, I've never been this scared. I mean when you told me about your past it hurt and I was scared but I already knew you were gonna make it cause it happened long before you knew me. Now it's here and it's happening now and I don't know what to do" he said and I could feel his fear. "I love you Lexi, I'm so glad you're in my life." He said kissing me. I kissed him back, "I love you too Adam. I'm not going anywhere" I promised and we held each other on the couch for a while.

Three days later*

"Hi Lexi!" Sam said as he hugged me tightly. "Hey Sam" I said with a smile. "Come on! I wanna see the new house!" He shouted as he raced Liza to the car. "He still hasn't said anything" Adam said as he came up behind me after talking to his mom. "He will, when he's ready Adam give him time to figure it out" I said softly. He kissed me and we headed to the new house.

When he pulled into the driveway Sam and Liza started frantically talking and Patsy went on and on about how beautiful it was and all I could do was stare. Adam parked and looked at me, "like it baby?" He asked taking my hand. I smiled, "I love it babe!" I said and kissed him softly. "Come on!" Liza shouted. They ran out of the car and toward the house laughing. Adam and I laughed as we followed them. Adam unlocked the door and we went in looking around. I slipped my arm around him as he ushered me around a huge home with five bedrooms, a master bath, a full bath, a half bath, a kitchen that would make even the greatest chef blush, a living room that could easily hold 80 people alone comfortably. It was amazing. "Adam I..." I started the smile on my lips forever growing. "Come on, look at this" he whispered and pulled me back into the kitchen and to the large wall of windows that over looked a yard almost as big as the house. The pool was magnificent and the basketball courts on the other side were perfect. I looked out to the grassy field just behind the pool and found Liza and Sam running and laughing. "What are you thinking?" Adam asked his arms around my waist as he rested his head on my shoulder. "I want this. I want a family" I whispered. I turned to face Adam and he looked at me. "I want that too baby" he said kissing me yet again.

Adam ordered lunch and we relaxed in the kitchen as we ate. "Mom?" Sam said softly as we finished and were laughing while the kids had some dessert. "Yes Sam?" She asked. "I need to talk to you guys" he said softly and Adam grabbed my hand under the table. I squeezed it as Sam continued talking softly explaining his problem at school.

"Can I stay with Adam and Lexi?" He asked which surprised us both. "Uh, Sam that won't solve the..." "I can't go back!" He screamed and ran out of the room. Adam let go of my hand and ran after him.

*Adam's pov

"Sam" I said softly joining him on the couch. "I can't go back, Adam, I can't face it. If I stay with you I'll be sent to a different school because of the district. Please don't make me." He begged and it killed me to hear him like this. His eyes filled with tears as I pulled him close. "Sam I know it's hard to handle but running away won't solve this problem. I know it seems that way but it won't actually help." "Are you saying I can't stay?" He asked. I looked at him and broke under his gaze. "I'll talk to mom, okay? But I'd like it, we'd all like it, if you tried to work this out." I said hugging him. We walked back into kitchen with everyone. Mom looked worried and Liza was curled up in Lexi's lap. "Liza, why don't you and Sam play out back" I said walking up to the table. Liza jumped off Lexi and pulled Sam outside to play. "Mom?" Patsy shook her head looking down. "He wants to live with us, he doesn't want to go back to that school. I don't know what to do mom." I said standing close to Lexi, my hand on her knee. "Adam no," Patsy said. "Mom I don't know what to do! He refuses to go back, he's scared." I said trying not to shout. Lexi stood up and walked out the kitchen door into the backyard. I watched her as she called Sam over.

*Lexi's pov

I sat next to Sam on the steps into the backyard. Liza kept chasing a butterfly oblivious to us. "Sam, I know you don't want to go back to school but you have to handle this. I know it's scary but this fear will always be with you until you handle it." He looked at me nervously. Adam came out then and sat on the other side of Sam. "Listen, mom said if you take Lexi's advice and are still struggling then she said that Lexi and I can discuss you staying with us, but you have to listen to Lexi, she's been here before." He said and looked at me curious how I would react. "Adam and your mom are right Sam, you have to try. If its still hard to be at school afterward then you can stay with us, okay?" He nodded and hugged us and ran off to play with Liza.