Chapter 5: Don't Know Nothing

*Adam's pov

She turned looking me right in the eye. "When you first met me I was in the psych ward, I was there because..." She paused, I looked at her worried and scared about what she was going to say. "I was on trial for murder." She spit out. That was the last thing I was expecting. I opened my mouth to say something but I was in shock I couldn't form any words. She looked back at me after what felt like forever and got up running out of the door. I don't know what happened but I ran to the door calling after her.

The sky turned dark and I could tell it was going to rain. I ran down her steps and followed her. She was a ways ahead of me but I kept up with her. I ran as fast as I could calling out to her, but she was faster I lost her and I couldn't keep up. I thought about everything we had talked about since we met. Tiffany was on vacation so her office was closed, she couldn't go there, Ryder! I thought. I pulled out my phone and called her. "Ryder!" I nearly shouted, "is Lexi there?" I asked knowing she was close by. "No, why what's going on?" "She ran away, I'll explain later" I said and hung up. There was only one other place she would be, I just hoped she was there. I sprinted to the park and the sky opened up. It started pouring as I rounded the corner bringing the park into view.

There she was sitting on the ground shaking from the cold and getting soaked. I ran over to her, "Lexi!" I said over the roar of thunder. She looked up at me, "you promised you wouldn't judge me" she cried. I picked her up and carried her under a tree, it help some. "I didn't judge you, yes it shocked me but I was waiting for more, you're not an aggressive person, hell you're not even scary" I joked a smirk forming on my lips. "What happened Lexi, please tell me" I begged. I still held her on my lap and she looked into my eyes and then away into the distance.

"My parents abused me, physically, verbally, and sexually. Those nightmares, I lived through it twice, Ryder saved me both times. Finally after I turned 16 they cornered me and started the abuse again that day, I couldn't take it. We were in the kitchen and I was making dinner. They just got home and didn't hesitate to make my life hell. They paused long enough for me to grab a knife and I took my only chance. I stabbed them both, I watched the life drain out of them as I called 911. The cops arrested me and Ryder's dad bail me out. We talked. He knew everything, that's when I heard she will be loved on the radio. I knew the song from the cd I kept hidden but it finally clicked. I decided right then and there I was going to make it. It gave me hope. I had him tattoo it on me and I added Kara's flowers for fun. The trial started and they found me not guilty because it was self defense. The judge suggested I get some help so I checked myself into the psych ward. That's when you found me, or rather, I found you." She finished and finally looked back into my eyes.

It scared me, I wasn't going to lie, not that she killed her parents but that they could do that to their daughter. I pulled her close and kissed her, "Lexi" I managed after a few minutes. "Don't Adam I don't want your sympathy you know nothing about the hell I was put through for 11 years." She said. I took her face in my hands, "I'm not giving you sympathy, cause your right I don't know what you've been through. I can't even begin to imagine it. But..." I said kissing her quickly, "I can assure you it will never happen again".

*Lexi's pov

"You're not gonna run?" I asked softly. He shook his head, "why not?" I asked. "Because it wasn't your fault, you are a strong, smart, beautiful woman who has been through hell and still managed to trust 5 crazy musicians enough to tour with them" he brushed my wet hair out of my face, "you are an inspiration Alexis Marie Knight, and I love you" he said kissing me, "and none of that changes how I feel about you, expect make me worry about you more." He looked and sounded sincere. I kissed him and we walked back home in the pouring rain.

After a hot shower and a warm, dry set of clothes, I walked back out into the living. Adam had changed into a pair of sweats and a white t-shirt. "Hey babe" he said and I curled up with him. "Hey" I whispered, "did you call the guys?" I asked softly. I was still shocked by how Adam reacted he was so calm about it all, and didn't hate me, which was the biggest shock of all. "Yep they should.. " the doorbell rang, "that should be them" he said and got up to get it. I tried to control my breathing but I was getting nervous. "Hey Lexi! What's going in?" They asked as they came in. They all sat down and Adam curled back up with me holding me close so I wouldn't run at their reactions. Last to come in was Shawn he looked as nervous as me. "Umm well you've all been asking about my past and where you met me, well here it is." I said softly.

I said it quickly so I wouldn't be interrupted. I left out the part about the tattoos to make it faster.

They all stared at me and Shawn stood up, "uh guys we need to talk" he said motioning for them to join him across the room. Adam was reluctant but he went. I sat quietly on the couch, waiting. "No Shawn it won't happen, I don't care about any of it it was self defense! I'll take the heat but I'm not leaving her and I'm not firing her!" He yelled. "If you don't you'll be fired" Shawn retorted. I was about to protest when Jesse spoke up, "then you've lost a band because we won't play without Adam and we won't tour without Lexi she's the only one who can even put up with us." He said and the guys all agreed. Shawn stormed out, probably going to fire them all because of me.