Eclipse

The sky was dressed in black silk and silver stars. I'd never been graced with such beauty before.
R.j.l.

His window is shut tight and his blinds are closed.

This sucks.

I was laying on my roof with only a blanket and pillow, ready to leave at a moments notice. After what happened that night with Jackson I wasn't too sure about being out here. Jackson had taken something precious from me.

He had stolen the comfort and safety I felt out here. Chris enhanced it, Jackson made it hard for me to breathe.

I had never felt more cold and alone here.

Tonight was supposed to be the incredible night I was looking forward to since I was 13. The eclipse. It hadn't happened in my lifetime before, and wouldn't again until the year 2017. I had wanted to see it for so long.

But now I laid tensely, waiting.

Waiting for nothing, and yet everything. I held back tears as the sky became blurry.

Pull yourself together, I told my mind. Let go of the worry and fear. Breathe.

I can't, my heart whispered.

I felt myself long for my best friend. The one who would know exactly what to say. The one who would be able to help me.

The night he asked me the question of my dreams and I turned him down was something I regretted. Because now I realized that I didn't have to be this warrior princess, that I could let someone in close to help me be stronger in myself.

But now I wasn't sure if he would even come see me again. Something was different, and I hated not knowing why he wouldn't come out under the red moon with me.

Slowly my breaths evened and my eyes cleared.

The sight above left me awestruck.

The moon was such an incredible color. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky and the stars were dimmer because of the brightness of the moon.

No picture in any text book or any video online could compare to seeing the normally white moon be transformed. For a moment all of my problem were forgotten.

Until I heard a window creak open.

Suddenly Chris was at the end of my gaze.

He looked startled, upset, and very confused. There was no joy in his face.

We stared at each other for a moment before he broke eye contact. Clearing his throat he spoke the first words since what felt like a lifetime ago.

"I didn't think you would be out here, you haven't been... Sorry. I'll go now."

My breath caught as I watched him turn away from me. Beating fiercely before, my heart stopped. It tried to cope with the pain of rejection. I could feel my body reacting in unpleasant ways to the thought of him not wanting to be around me anymore.

I mustered up as much strength as I possibly could, trying to be strong.

"Oh. Okay." My voice cracked as I spoke and tears began to leak down my cheeks.

Chris froze.

I watched him as he turned around slowly. All the confusion in his eyes turned to concern as he searched my face in the dim, red light from the moon. His eyebrows furrowed as I saw him begin to contemplate what to do.

As soon as I wiped my tears away, his mind was made up. Chris stepped over onto my roof and sat down a few feet from me. I stared at him with wide eyes, not believing them.

After only a moment, Chris spoke bluntly.

"Why are you crying?"

I glanced down at the gray socks on my feet that were sticking out from under the blanket.  My brain tried to figure out where to begin.

"Honestly?" I whispered, trying my best to keep my voice under control.

Chris hesitated for a single moment before shaking his head yes. I breathed in deep.

"Because you haven't been around and you were leaving. And... Something is wrong between us and Im not sure what it is."

Chris' face turned to one of confusion but before he could respond, his curtains fluttered before parting.

"Hey Cuz! Did you miss me?"

My mouth dropped open and our eyes grew large, for we both had a reason to fear the guest standing behind Chris.

Although neither of us knew that about the other.

To anyone who still has this story saved.... I am so sorry I didn't have something up. I found this mostly done and just finished it tonight. I'm hoping I get the spark for this story back, but we shall see...

Love y'all to the eclipse moon and back