Ending

" Love is whatever you can still betray. Betrayal can only happen if you love."

- John le Carre

-

You sat there, blankly staring at the open balcony. The curtains were fluttering into the house furiously as the harsh wind grazed your face. You didn't even notice the pain eating away at you, and all you had felt was nothing. It was emptiness. A feeling of emptiness that clouded your senses.

Your legs felt weak as you tried your best to quickly get up. There was a compelling feeling that nagged at the back of your head, telling you to go, to move forward. It was calling to you. Almost as if like the sound of a siren, luring you into the depths of despair.

Your hands pressed against your thighs, fingers quivering as you forced yourself to stand. Thighs slightly shaking and your fingertips pressed against the buttons of your coat, you pulled yourself together. Lips vaguely parting, a cloud of hot breath escaped from your lips almost too subtly and then formed a tiny mist cloud that you watched as it slowly disappeared into the distance, fading into the night sky like little crystals as if they were a part of the tears that were shed in the night.

Feet shuffling forcefully, you moved almost like one of those walking dead zombies that you used to laugh at as you watched the walking dead with vague amusement. Right now, you felt like it, your heart almost shrinking by itself, the muscle cells merely disappearing into the vast emptiness of your chest. Almost invisible.

Almost to the point it could not make a single beat anymore.

Your hand pushed away the balcony curtains ever so lightly, your touch almost like melted snow soft and cold. You could see the bright lights of Tokyo in the distance, the neon lights blazing out in the pitch black night sky. No moon in sight. No hope in sight. Even the chaos and havoc created by the hooligans in your vicinity were muted out, the mere sound of the grazing wind rustling in your ear as if crying, weeping for the loss of another one.

" Ah, why did you come out? Now I've lost." A familiar voice drifted from behind you, the softness of his voice giving you the chills down your spine as your held onto the railing with your fingers, the cold seeping through into your bones.

" Kaneki- I thought-" you whispered, your heart just completely enveloped in this black mass as it shriveled up by itself. You almost stopped breathing as you watched him, his kagunes helping him descend from the darkness of the night. Everything seemed to stop. Everything. Even the wind now seemed to be silent.

All you could hear was the cracking of bones as he took one step at a time from the wall before slowly descending onto the balcony floor, his final crack of a finger bone as he whispered, " two hundred and six... two hundred and six minus one..." You merely stood there, watching in absolute silence as you took it all in, the kagune and the crazed look, the black and red eyes and the cracking of bones. How had you been so ignorant to everything, you could never figure out why.

As Kaneki reached for you, you closed your eyes, your body jerking almost instantaneously backwards from the impact but he held you in his embrace, his left hand holding onto your back while he furiously muttered to himself, " two hundred, two hundred and one, one, two, three. Two hundred minus one, nine minus two..." His hand perfectly slides through the rib cage opening, his fingertips caressing the mere soft pericardium and then pressed against it. With an aggressive pull, he yanked his hand out of your rib cage, breaking the bones inevitably as your body jerked forward but he still kept you close, his firm and steady hand merely holding you as it pressed against your back.

A tear slid out from the corner of your eye, dripping onto his hand right where you had kissed beforehand. Kaneki's hand shook, and then he turned his head up, looking into your eyes that were filled with shock and disappointment.