- 23/3/2015 -

• Dedicated to The Late Mr Lee Kwan Yew

I think I cried at least 10 times today.

So currently I'll be pausing this book. 

Because currently Singapore (my home country) is in a state mourning for the loss of the first of our forefathers, Mr Lee Kwan Yew, a man of virtue and principle. 

He had led Singapore from 1959 as Singapore's first Prime Minister through all the tough and rough times. 

-

When Singapore's merger with Malaysia had failed, he had wept, not because he did not believe in the capability of the people, but because of the hurdles that Singapore had to face together as a nation. However, as Singapore gained independence in 1965, he, with the pioneer generation of Singaporeans overcame all sorts of challenges. With the People's Action Party and support of the public, Singapore has managed to reform itself immensely. From rehousing squatters in affordable public housing, rebuilding the economy after the sudden pull-out of British forces and the oil shocks of the 1970s, and a major economic recession in the mid 1980s, he had convinced all to take heart and "never fear" as they looked forward to a better life. 

"This country belongs to all of us. We made this country from nothing, from mud-flats... Over 100 years ago, this was a mud-flat, swamp. Today, this is a modern city. Ten years from now, this will be a metropolis. Never fear!" he thundered at a grassroots event in Sembawang in September 1965. 

Perhaps he had implemented policies with an iron fist, disciplined and stern, but it proved to result in Singapore's economy to progress, as its people toiled and bore the fruits of labour. He, with his team, had led Singapore, from a third-world country to a first world country in only years, improving our standard of living and allowing Singapore to be a small country (a little red dot) with a seat in the international community. 

“I ignore polling as a method of government. I think that shows a certain weakness of mind - an inability to chart a course whichever way the wind blows, whichever way the media encourages the people to go, you follow. If you can't force or are unwilling to force your people to follow you, with or without threats, you are not a leader.” 

― Lee Kwan Yew

Mr Lee loved Singapore throughout his entire life, always worrying about the future of Singapore and never letting go of Singapore - a resemblance to how a parent teaches and nurses his child, and even after so many years, still anxiously looking out for the safety and well-being of the child.

"I always tried to be correct, not politically correct."

—"'From Third World to First: The Singapore Story."

-

Mr Lee passed on the 23rd of March 2015, 3.18a.m. 

I offer his family my condolences for the loss of such a dear relative and also the nation for the loss of such a great and empowering leader. Singapore will continue to be a nation, ever ready and strong to uptake future challenges, together as one united people. May he rest in peace with his beloved wife, Mrs Lee Kwan Yew.

-

"All I can say is, I did my best. This was the job I undertook, I did my best, and I could not have done more in the circumstances. What people think of it, I have to leave to them. It is of no great consequence.

"What is of consequence is I did my best."

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/lee-kuan-yew-singapores-founding-father-dies-aged-91-201